An opportunity has arisen to join the BAE Systems Maritime Submarine team in Barrow-in-Furness as a Principal Metallurgist - Corrosion Specialist.
As a Principal Metallurgist - Corrosion Specialist Metallurgy your main responsibilities will involve:
* To act as technical authority (on behalf of the delegated design authority) for all aspects of corrosion or other degradation of metallic materials.
* To develop an effective corrosion management policy and ensure this is applied to submarine projects.
* Support to development projects using state of the art SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) and analysis facilities.
* Apply specialist knowledge on a wide range of metallic materials and their suitability for a number of operating environments applicable to submarine design.
* Liaise with other technical authorities such as non-metallic, paint and cathodic protection specialists to ensure optimum corrosion prevention solutions are developed.
* Advise on material requirements and constraints for design & production on Astute & Successor class submarines.
* Act as a focal point for all material selection enquiries
* Evaluation into the causes of in service corrosion problems and development of mitigating strategies.
As a Principal Metallurgist - Corrosion Specialist your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
* Degree level qualification (Metallurgy / Materials Engineering / Materials Science) with ability to achieve C.Eng or C.Sci status.
* Knowledge of metals and fabrication processes.
* Experience of conducting metallurgical investigations into corrosion failures.
* Experience of devising and conducting corrosion trials to provide evidence to support material selection choices
* Experience of producing technical reports to a consistently high standard.
* Experience of dealing with suppliers and advising on Technical Requirements
* Experience of communicating with Technical and Non-Technical groups
* Experience of utilising metallurgical evaluation including SEM technology
* Experience of working within a Marine environment would be advantageous
What we're looking for in you
We're looking for someone with the ability to not only work strongly within a team, but with the initiative and capability to work independently where required.
You must be able to assimilate and process data from a wide range of sources, and communicate the results to a variety of audiences.
BAE Systems Maritime Submarine is home to the design, build, test and commissioning of the Astute class - the Royal Navy's latest and most capable generation of attack submarines. In total seven of these state-of-the-art vessels will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Split across nine UK locations, and with more than 5,000 employees, the business is also the industry lead for the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines.
We pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
BAE Systems welcomes applications from all sections of the community.