This job is no longer available
£competitive + Benefits
Rolls-Royce is a global business providing power systems and services for use on land; at sea and in the air. The Group has established a strong position in global markets for civil aerospace, defence aerospace, marine and energy. We invest in technology and capabilities that can be applied to products and services in each of the global markets we serve.
An exciting opportunity has arisen by the creation of the Externals Centre of Competence within Installations & Controls Supply Chain Unit. The Externals team is responsible for the following commodities:- pipes, harnesses, ducting, flexible hoses and associated mounting systems. It is also responsible for the definition of the engine-mounted, airframe systems (EBU), such as cabin air systems. The Centre of Competence will be responsible for the development of future technologies, commodity strategies, delivering of R&T and supporting engine demos.
There is now a vacancy available for an Electrical Designer (Technologist) within the Centre. Due to the high level of integration required, the roles require frequent communication with other SCUs, engine project teams, airframe and nacelle manufacturers and component manufacturers.
The successful applicant will be given an excellent opportunity to become involved with a wide variety of activities, which includes:
• Creating electrical design concepts for future engines utilising the latest technologies and manufacturing processes as appropriate for the best Total Life Cost, including allocating functions within the electrical system to best serve installation, separation and maintainability requirements.
• Devising validation testing required to achieve appropriate Technology Readiness Levels (TRL).
• Ownership of the design solutions through the Design Review process.
• Negotiating electrical interfaces with SCUs, AEC and airframe and nacelle manufacturers
• Carrying out or participating in risk assessments, Design for Manufacture and similar techniques.
• Co-ordinating and liaising with Suppliers, for Design/Make packages, or supplier testing of components
• Preparing standard practice documentation for electrical systems.
• Continuous improvement of design processes, component standards and assembly techniques.
• Reviewing electrical specifications and standards.
The work is very varied, involving communication with many areas, both internal and external to Rolls-Royce.
Candidates should have previous electrical design experience and are expected to have relevant professional and academic qualifications including a degree, or equivalent, in an engineering discipline.
Knowledge and skills in the following areas would be advantageous, although supplementary training will be given as necessary: - Siemens Teamcenter, VeSys, aerospace wiring practices and airframe integration.
Candidates should demonstrate experience of problem understanding and definition of effective solutions. Equally important are interpersonal skills, self-motivation, and good communication in oral and written contexts.
Applicants should have familiarity with the appropriate regulations (e.g. airworthiness) and the appropriate knowledge, background and experience.
In return, we offer excellent development prospects, coupled with the salary and benefits you would expect of an internationally renowned and successful organisation.
We are unable to employ anyone who does not have the legal right to live and work in the UK.
In the absence of any candidate from outside the EEA possessing immigration status which allows them to live and work in the UK, Rolls-Royce will consider sponsorship under Tier 2 of the Points Based System. Sponsorship is subject to all the appropriate criteria (as specified by the UK Border Agency) being satisfied.
Should Rolls-Royce choose to sponsor a candidate who is outside of the UK then please note that it will be necessary for Rolls-Royce
to make an application for a certificate of sponsorship from the UK Border Agency. Rolls-Royce cannot offer any guarantee that such a request will be successful.
In the recruitment process all candidates are required to provide the necessary right to work information and documentation.
We are an equal opportunities employer.