Head of Beamline Systems Engineering
Diamond Light Source is a world class science institute providing X-Ray beams of exceptional brightness for use by scientists to probe the atomic building blocks of physical and biological matter.
The Engineering Group plays a key role in the design and construction of the beamlines that transport the X-ray beams from the electron accelerator to the scientific samples. The beamlines are made up of optical elements and sample environments that employ sub-micron, multi-axis, precision motion systems operating in Ultra High Vacuum environments and often at cryogenic temperatures.
To lead multi-disciplined beamline engineering teams into the future, we have created an exciting, new, group leader level position. As a Head of Beamline Systems Engineering you will engage with the Principal Beamline Scientists at Diamond and coordinate the efficient delivery of technical solutions to enable world class science. The successful candidate must demonstrate a strong systems understanding including mechanical and electrical engineering as well as control and motion systems.
If you are experienced in delivering mechatronic systems employing a wide range of technical disciplines and you want to help push the boundaries of world class science then we look forward to hearing from you.
- Lead in the delivery of multi-disciplined beamline systems engineering, design and practice;
- Lead, manage and develop a group of beamline mechanical and electrical project engineers, designers and other specialists;
- Provide input to the Integrated Resource Master Plan and manage the group resources and budget to deliver on agreed projects and operations support;
- Coordinate engineering with other relevant disciplines across Technical, Physical and Life Science divisions ensuring the optimum systems level support of beamline operations and projects;
- Develop policy and strategy for beamline systems engineering and establish expert teams in relevant technology supported by R&D programmes as required;
- Responsible for ensuring the safety of engineered systems and compliance with relevant EU directives and UK regulations;
- Implement management processes to continuously improve beamline engineering quality for internal and external equipment supply;
- At an international level, establish contacts at other synchrotron and relevant science facilities as well as with industry and represent Diamond at workshops and conferences;
- Contribute to making Diamond a safe and inclusive place to work and the wider development of management practice across Diamond.
For further information and to apply, please click on the apply button, to visit our website.
Closing date: 9 April 2017.
We are committed to equality of opportunities for all and our employees come from many countries, cultures and backgrounds.