Consultant (Electrical Power)
Consultant (Electrical Power)
Would you like to play a key role in providing technical direction to the design of power systems on the Successor class submarines? BAE Systems is looking for a Consultant to join the Electrical Power team based at our site in Barrow-in-Furness OR Bristol, acting as the technical lead for power and propulsion systems design.
This role will give you the opportunity to heavily shape the design of one of the most complex engineering programmes ever undertaken in the UK, as power system design has an influence on almost every system on board.
As well as leading design activities for the Successor class submarine, you will also have the opportunity to consult for power issues on the Astute class submarine, which are currently in the build stage, as well as contributing to future designs beyond the Successor class.
Your main responsibilities as a Consultant (Electrical Power) will involve:
- Acting as Technical Authority for power systems and propulsion, acting in an advisory capacity to both engineering teams, and the customer
- Providing input to, and chairing design reviews to discuss system integration, maintaining collaboration across the engineering function
- Reviewing and evaluating power systems design at a ‘whole-boat’ level, and drawing upon your technical expertise to lead groups of highly skilled Engineers to reach collaborative design conclusions
- Influencing senior management by understanding systems and project risks and needs
- Capturing and influencing design requirements to meet customer, business, and programme demands
- Ensuring Power department remains on track to deliver technically, and ultimately ensuring the submarine design enables it to perform the functions it is required to, such as diving and surfacing, and performing capably in required environments
As a Consultant (Electrical Power), your skills and qualifications must include:
- Degree (or equivalent level) qualification in Electrical Power Engineering or related field
- Extensive experience of electrical power system design
- Previous experience providing technical advice on a consultancy basis
- Applied knowledge of modelling
- Able to achieve recognised status such as Fellow of the IET (FIET)
What we're looking for in you:
We are looking for you to be a resilient decision maker, and able to collaborate effectively with other engineering teams to resolve issues. You must be a confident, independent thinker, able to influence others in a technical sense.
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
Maritime – Submarines
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
The Astute class will equip the Royal Navy with its largest and most capable generation of attack submarines. We are responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of these state-of-the-art vessels. In total, seven boats will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Dreadnought is the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines. We will deliver four submarines to the Royal Navy, with the first submarine entering service in the early 2030s. Dreadnought is widely considered to be one of the world's most complex engineering challenges.
We have sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Filton, Frimley, Ash Vale, Broad Oak and Weymouth, and we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Inspiring Work, Inspiring People
To apply for this position, please click the Apply button.