Process Safety Engineer / Environmental Engineer - DSEAR
Job Title: Process Safety Engineer
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Our Client, an independent integrated environmental, health and safety, energy consulting and engineering firm, was established in 1996 in Glasgow, Scotland. Since then, the firm has grown to employ 30 motivated engineers, scientists and supporting professionals across the U.K., and over 35% of their staff are now shareholders in the firm. They have regional offices in: Rosyth, Scotland; Liverpool, England; Cardiff, Wales; and Belfast, Northern Ireland.
The firm is seeking to recruit a process safety engineer to join their growing team in the Glasgow office. The position may require travel, occasional overnight stays throughout the U.K., to service project requirements in Ireland, Europe and further afield, depending on project requirements. A positive place to work, our Client aims to implement the motto ‘See a Difference’ in everything that they do.
Education and Experience:
* Honours or Masters Degree in Chemical, Process or Environmental Engineering (or equivalent). Applicants with a post-graduate MSc in Safety & Risk Management or Safety, Risk & Reliability Engineering will also be considered for the role.
* Membership (associate or chartered) of a related professional institute such as the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) or an equivalent body. Chartered membership (i.e. CEng, PEng etc.) would be advantageous.
* It is desirable that the successful candidate(s) will possess one or more of the following skills and experience:
* Prior experience, either in a consulting or engineering capacity, of applying process safety principles within an industrial or high-hazard environment.
* A broad understanding of current U.K. health, safety and environmental legislation. Prior experience of legislative compliance auditing and reporting would be advantageous.
* Co-ordination of systematic hazard identification/evaluation studies (i.e. HAZOP/HAZID) for industrial processes, as a team leader and/or scribe.
* Fire and explosion safety, to include the ability to prepare hazardous area classifications and DSEAR risk assessments.
* A broad understanding of the COMAH Regulations and associated compliance requirements. Prior experience of the preparation of safety reports, hazardous substance consent applications, major accident prevention policies and ALARP justifications would be advantageous.
* Functional safety experience to include semi-quantitative risk assessment techniques (i.e. LOPA, SIL verification, fault tree analysis) would be advantageous.
The successful candidate(s) will:
* Be self-motivated with a desire and enthusiasm to be successful.
* Have excellent personal interface and communications abilities.
* Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Have strong analytical skills.
* Be a ‘self-starter’ and commercial awareness is an advantage.
* Be proficient in Microsoft Office Professional software packages, AutoCAD experience is also desirable for this position.
* Have a full U.K. driving licence and clean driver record.
The successful candidate(s) will work as a member of the Process Engineering & Safety team and will be involved in all aspects of professional input to process safety consultancy projects. To provide further insight into the role, recent projects completed by the firm have included:
* HAZOP and SIL verification for a distillery
* DSEAR risk assessment and hazardous area classification for a food manufacturer
* Preparation of a COMAH gap analysis and subsequent safety report for a chemical manufacturer
* Fire risk assessment and consequence modelling for an industrial warehousing facility
* Environmental risk tolerability assessment for a whisky maturation warehouse
Wider knowledge of environmental engineering and/or occupational health and safety principles would be beneficial to the role, but not essential. The successful candidate will also be expected to provide marketing and business development support, identifying new clients and opportunities, to support the growth and expansion of the firm.
Some travel is involved, for which a company pool car is available and for which a valid driving licence will be required. Occasionally travel by air will be required, for which a valid passport and photo ID is required.
About The Company
Our Client is an equal opportunities employer and offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits programmes with growth opportunities. The firm supports career development to include active participation in membership of professional organisations. For the right candidate, the opportunity exists to work towards becoming a shareholder of the firm.
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Process Safety Engineer, Environmental Engineer, Process Engineer, DSEAR, Chemical Engineer, Health & Safety Engineer, Process Engineering, Chemical Engineering, DSEAR Risk Assessment, COMAH, Environmental Engineering, Risk Management, Chemical Process Safety Engineer, Safety Engineer, Process Technician, Safety Technician, Chemical Technician may also be considered for this role.