Project Engineer (Civil)
Project Engineer (Civil)
Full time, Permanent contract
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
In 2015 ABP and its customers handled 92 million tonnes of cargo. Together with our customers, we support 84,000 jobs and contribute £5.6 billion to the UK economy every year.
The Port of Hull is the UK’s leading softwood timber port and is the focus of the Humber’s burgeoning renewable energy sector. Ideally located on the Humber River the ports support 33,000 jobs and together handle more than 65 million tonnes of cargo. ABP's Humber facilities offer customers close links to markets in mainland Europe and Scandinavia and expertise in a broad range of cargoes, including energy, vehicles, roll-on roll-off, containers, bulks, liquid bulks and forest products.
Reporting to the Senior Projects Engineer, the role forms part of a small team that is responsible for the delivery of contracted maintenance works, new construction works, third party construction works, development of scheme proposals and providing technical support to the regional team in supporting the company’s ongoing five-year plan.
- Management of the Engineering Department's Project Technicians ensuring engineering works are carried out in accordance with health and safety legislation, to best practice and in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Overcoming both day-to-day engineering problems and developing long term solutions for a variety of engineering applications in line with operational and budgetary constraints.
- Identify and prepare cost estimates for both present and future engineering works as necessary followed by the management of capital expenditure budgets.
- Produce tender documentation and undertake the contract administration for engineering works in line with company policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership for the engineering staff encouraging professional development and skills training and advising line managers on general staffing matters.
- Maintain pace with all safety regulations and new technical innovations in order to provide advice and support to line managers.
- Assist line managers with work planning to ensure the most efficient use is made of the resources available to carry out engineering works.
- Regularly audit both engineering staff and contractors to ensure that they are working in accordance with agreed safety guidelines.
- Meet with port users and potential customers to discuss engineering matters and or other items of common interest.
- Identify and manage as necessary environmental matters.
- Be responsible for the ongoing management, development and training of team members. Undertake appraisals and ensure team members have sufficient knowledge to be able to carry out their duties independently on a day-to-day basis.
Skills and Experience
- Degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering.
- H&S and Environmental experience in engineering projects.
- Project management of engineering works.
- Flexible approach to working hours and weekend working. Based in Hull but willing to travel as required to Ports within the Humber region (Hull, Goole, Grimsby & lmmingham).
- PC Literate with experience in Word and Excel.
- Good communication skills and team working skills.
- An enthusiastic and confident nature.
- Willing to travel to undergo training as required.
- Chartered membership to Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering.
- NEBOSH Construction certificate.
- Experience of current AutoCAD drawing packages.
- An awareness and understanding of processes, procedures and policies associated with project management of contractors.
- Experience in mentoring junior members
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.