Electrical Design Engineer/Designer
Diamond Light Source is located in South Oxfordshire and is one of the UK’s leading scientific facilities; providing X-Ray beams of exceptional brightness for use by scientists to probe the atomic building blocks of physical and biological matter.
The Beamline Systems Engineering team plays a key role in the design, development and construction of the Beamlines that transport light from the electron accelerator to the scientific sample. The Beamlines are made up of optical elements and sample environments that employ sub-micron, multi-axis, precision motion systems operating in Ultra High Vacuum environments and often at cryogenic temperatures.
We are seeking a number of self-motivated, experienced electrical engineers to join the Beamline Systems Engineering team in the development of innovative equipment that enables world class applied research to be performed at Diamond.
The successful candidate will have a background in designing complex control and instrumentation systems; as well as skills and experience in some or all of the following:
- Electrical CAD software particularly AUTOCAD;
- Design of racks for vacuum system and motion control;
- Design of systems using distributed I/O such as Profinet;
- Selection of special signal, power and communication cables;
- Design of machinery controls including safety circuits;
- Production of hook up drawings and cable schedules;
- Design of cable management systems for machinery;
- Design of Low Voltage systems;
- Design of systems incorporating stepper motors and encoders.
If you have an Honours degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline and suitable experience, enjoy interaction with leading scientists, an excellent grasp of engineering principles and an interest in systems this vacancy will be of interest to you.
For further information and to apply, please click on the apply button, to visit our website.
Closing date: 8 October 2017.
Diamond is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community.