Laboratory Apprentice / Lab Assistant / Laboratory Tester
Job Title: Laboratory Apprentice
Closing Date: Thursday 12th October
Our Client pioneered the large scale commercial production of biodiesel in the UK and is the UK’s leading waste-to-energy biodiesel producer. The company is owned by John Swire and Sons Green Investments, part of the John Swire and Sons Company, a major international group with over 136,000 employees worldwide, who have provided investment to facilitate significant growth and development.
Main Purpose of Job
To learn all analytical techniques involved in the testing of raw materials, blended materials and finished biodiesel product at Motherwell. Work towards being able to competently carryout all testing in accordance with EN 14214 and assisting the lab technicians with any additional sample testing.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
* Ensure all equipment is kept in good condition and stored correctly.
* Aim to be able to competently test raw materials, blended materials, in process materials and finished products in accordance with Company procedures.
* Prepare all lab reagents, solvent and standards as required.
* Ensure all glassware is cleaned thoroughly and regularly ensuring shelves are filled with clean, dry glassware ready for lab personnel to use.
* Maintain sufficient lab chemical, consumable and gas stock levels and notify laboratory manager as and when orders are required.
* Participate in general laboratory housekeeping and waste disposal.
* Prepare and package laboratory samples to be shipped off site for external analysis.
* Update results spreadsheets daily.
* Create and approve certificates of analysis.
* Perform any other duties as deemed necessary by management.
Health and Safety:
* Ensure a thorough knowledge of your Health & Safety responsibilities.
* Always wear Personal Protective Equipment as required. Take responsibility for your own PPE ensuring appropriate storage and care.
* Always strive to work in a manner safe to yourself and others and report any hazards immediately.
* Ensure all staff and visitors operate in compliance with Safety regulations.
* Full knowledge of the Plant Emergency Procedures and associated responses are required.
* Take responsibility for the Health and Safety of yourself and others whilst at work and to comply with the Company’s policies and legislation.
* Support Company Initiatives and demonstrate Company Values.
* To comply with all legal, regulatory and statutory obligations applicable to the role.
* Participate in training and personal development activities as required.
* Be flexible in undertaking the duties and responsibilities attached to your role; Carry out any other reasonable tasks as required by the Company.
* An HNC in chemistry or equivalent is beneficial but not essential.
* Higher grade qualifications in Chemistry, Maths and English are required.
This job description is a summary of the main duties of the role but is not exhaustive. It may be reviewed and updated regularly in discussion with the post holder.
If you are interested in this role please click the APPLY button and further information will be sent to your email.
If you do not receive the email within 30 minutes please check your junk / spam folders.
Candidates with experience or relevant job titles of; Laboratory Analyst, Lab Apprentice, Laboratory Apprentice, Lab Technician, Lab Scientist, Laboratory Assistant, Lab Analyst, Laboratory Technician, Laboratory Technician Apprentice, HNC Qualification, Lab Tester, Raw Materials Tester, Finished Product Tester, Process Tester, Energy Plant Technician, Energy Plant Tester may also be considered for this role.