Target Engineering Technician
Target Engineering Technician
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
Salary: £24,193 - £32,670 - dependent upon qualifications and experience
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and technology. ISIS is the world’s most productive spallation neutron source — providing beams of neutrons and muons to enable scientists to study the structure and properties of matter for the benefit of science and engineering in the UK and abroad.
About the role
Target engineering covers work on new innovative projects, and precision assemblies. Targets are vital for the ISIS spallation neutron source. The post offers the chance to learn new technologies and work with specialist engineering designs, techniques and processes. The section encourages personal development.
Duties include to:
• Prepare assemblies using novel techniques and processes with exotic materials
• Work on engineering projects including accurate machining, precision fitting with specialized techniques and high tech equipment. In particular the use of Electron Beam Welding, EDM technology, CNC machine tools and inspection arms.
• liaise closely with the Target Design Group to find solutions to manufacturing problems
• To produce procedures and reports to provide quality documents and to improve production methods.
• Follow procedures and risk assessments with minimal supervision.
• Working with vacuum systems and high voltage.
• Work in a team to aid design and manufacture of complex tooling.
Working overtime will be a possibility.
You must have served a recognised apprenticeship and be qualified to ONC level in a mechanical engineering discipline. Post apprenticeship experience in any of the areas mentioned above would be advantageous.
A strong ability to communicate at all levels technically and non-technically is important. Good written skills involving record keeping and Microsoft Office software. A calm and methodical attitude to work is essential with a desire to see jobs through to completion.
You should be familiar with the health and safety issues associated in an engineering environment. A self-motivated person with an inquiring mind and an interest in solving engineering problems would be best suited to this post.
The most important attribute is to be self-motivated with a willingness to learn new skills and processes.
You must be willing to work in a radiation controlled environment.
An exceptional index linked pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexible working are offered, as well as an onsite nursery, subsidised restaurant, a gym and sports facilities. For more information please visit http://www.stfccareers.co.uk/.
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Applications are received by UK SBS; to apply please click the Apply button.
Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
The closing date for applications is 29th October 2017.