Senior EW/RF Systems Engineer
Leonardo is a market leader in the development of Electronic Warfare (EW) sensor systems. We are seeking an experienced systems engineer with a strong background in the design and development of Radio Frequency (RF) products and technologies.
The role will focus on developing RF sensor systems for the application of providing Electronic Support (ES), Electronic Protection (EP), and Electronic Attack (EA) capabilities to variety of airborne platforms.
A strong background in the design and development of Radar Warning Receiver (RWR), RF Countermeasure (RFCM), Integrated Defensive Aids System (IDAS), RADAR, or other EW systems would be suitable for this role.
The role will entail working across the systems engineering lifecycle; from early architectural design and system requirement definition, through to verification, validation and acceptance. The role may also require the ability to perform capability and technology studies and trade-offs to develop system-level requirements in-line with operational concepts for highly complex systems.
Key Responsibility Areas
Working as part of an established systems engineering community and supported by a team of experienced engineers, you will be responsible for:
- Elicitation and understanding of stakeholder needs to support the development and management of the system-level requirements
- Performing requirements analysis and iterative refinement to capture accurate definitions
- Involved in functional design and take responsibility for significant systems design decisions and sub-system level analysis tasks
- Contribute to solution reviews and trade-off studies to ensure compliance of technical solutions and fitness for purpose
- Work closely with engineering and other functions within the IPT (Integrated Project Team) to manage solution/design changes
- Using technical expertise to solve problems, generate ideas and be pro-active within the team
- Delivering to agreed performance targets, including cost and schedule
- Communicate progress and performance within the team and to the wider IPT
- Liaise with customer and partner companies
- Provide technical direction and guidance to other members of the team
- Provide evidence and present at lifecycle reviews
Essential Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
You will have knowledge and experience in several of the following areas:
- Degree-level qualification (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
- Systems engineering lifecycle and associated reviews
- RF sensor system development across phases of the systems engineering lifecycle, with particular focus on RWR, RFCM or RADAR architectures, technologies, and performance
- RF system design and analysis at architectural, system and subsystem levels
- Signal propagation assessments through complete signal processing chains
- Development and/or analysis of algorithms for complex data processing
- Engineering development tools, (e.g. Matlab, Simulink, Rhapsody System Architect, DOORS, C/C++, C#, Python)
- FPGA (particularly Xilinx), VHDL, System Generator and HDL Coder
- EW capabilities and technologies within wider/non-traditional domains
- Ability to produce clear and concise technical documentation for designs, reports and presentations and tailor communication method to be appropriate for the given audience
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, and the ability to interact with subject matter experts regarding a range of technical and operational topics
- Self-motivated with an aptitude to problem solving and ability to drive difficult issues to conclusion
- Able to work with minimum direction/supervision on complex tasks
- Confidence and ability to challenge/respond to technical/process issues.
- Willing to obtain SC-level security clearance. In addition, some roles may require clearance to access caveated information, such as UK Eyes Only and ITAR
This is an office-based role using display screen equipment, working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad-hoc basis with occasional travel within the UK and abroad.
To apply, please click the Apply button.