Senior Microwave Engineer
Leonardo - Engineering the future
We are an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We employ 4,000 people across the UK with 2,000 based at the Edinburgh site. In addition to achieving Investors In People accreditation, we won the Queens Awards for enterprise and international trade. We are entering a period of expansion offering exciting opportunities to work at the forefront of technology. With a large proportion of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals.
Where will you find our work?
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- We provided the perimeter security for the Commonwealth Games
- Our thermal camera was used in the BBC’s Winter Watch
- We are number 1 in Airborne Infra-Red Counter Measures, in Airborne Laser Designators and in Airborne Radar outside of the US
The electronics function at Leonardo is looking for a Senior Microwave Engineer to join the team.
You will be Senior Microwave Hardware Engineer working on the design, development, integration and production support of microwave circuits, components and sub-systems. Your work will be in support of a range of radar products being developed within an AESA Radar development team. You will be providing key technical support across all aspects of the product lifecycle, and over a portfolio of programmes.
Key Responsibility Areas
You will be responsible for developing microwave circuits and systems as part of the Microwave AESA development team. This may include:
- Microwave hardware requirements capture and management
- Concept development and prototyping of Microwave PCBs,
- Packaging of microwave components and microwave module development.
- Production of material for design reviews
- Implementing design for manufacture and test
- Preparation of manufacturing data pack
- Technical support to sub-contracts and engineering interface with manufacturing
- Development test and design verification
Skills, Qualifications & Experience Required
You will have a degree (Hons or Doctorate) in Electronic Engineering or related Science (e.g. Physics) with specialisation in high frequency circuits and techniques
You will have electronic design skills compatible with your degree. You will have current experience of designing and testing microwave circuits at a Senior Engineer level or above.
You should also have current practical experience in one or more of the following areas:-
- Microwave PCB materials & design techniques
- Microwave Sub-System Design
- Knowledge of microwave power amplifier design & technology
- Design of complex microwave switch matrix
- Application of microwave GaAs/GaN MMIC.
- Design of complex passive microwave structures
- EM 3D and 2D simulation techniques
- Non-linear circuit simulation
- Microwave component selection
- Requirements capture and management
- Design for manufacture and cost
- You will be familiar with current industry standard ECAD tools. In particular you should have experience using one or more of AWR Microwave office, CST Microwave studio, Agilent ADS, or AWR Visual System Simulator. Skills You will have good communication skills and the ability to work in a team.
- This is mainly office based role using display screen equipment, however the successful candidate may also have to work in a development lab, production area and in a clean room environment.
- You will be expected to work full time hours in a flexible and often demanding environment with tight deadlines.
- Some travel along with overnight stays will also be required.
- The nature of the programmes involving microwave design means that you must be capable of achieving full SC security clearance and in addition you will require access to caveated information such as UK eyes only and ITAR.
To apply for this role, please click the Apply button.