Senior/Principal Software Engineer
About the role
The Software Engineering function in Edinburgh have multiple opportunities for software engineers to join one of our multi-disciplinary integrated project teams (IPT) to contribute to the solving of real-life engineering problems on state-of-the-art avionics sensor systems such as: the radar for the Typhoon fighter jet; the radar for the SAAB Gripen fighter; one of our family of Surveillance AESA Radars (Active Electronically Scanned Array); an IRCM (Infra–Red Counter Measures) system; or perhaps on one of our laser target designator or laser ranging systems.
There are opportunities at all levels: Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer and Principal Software Engineer levels depending on the skills and experience of the candidate.
- Software development may include the full software lifecycle from requirements analysis; through design, coding and unit test; to integrating the software with the hardware target; and lastly to acceptance test and delivery to the customer.
- As a software engineer, you are responsible for creating high quality and robust code; for fully documenting and recording your work products; keeping them under configuration management and providing plans and reports on progress to your supervisor.
- The functionality provided by the software is extensive and varied, such as Radar control and mode selection, target tracking, Signal Processing mode algorithms and hardware interfacing.
- You will develop practical skills in design techniques for aerospace applications, understanding of key processes and technologies, and develop software using state-of-the-art modelling tools, compilers and test environments.
- You will work closely with Systems engineers and Electronics engineers to solve real integration problems on a complex system.
- Depending on your level of experience, you may be required to supervise a small team of engineers and you will then be responsible for planning and managing the work for yourself and your team; for coaching more junior team members and ensuring a robust engineering solution for the team’s work packages.
- There may be opportunities to contribute towards the investigation and analysis of leading edge development methodologies and influence the future path of software development within Leonardo.
- Most training will be delivered via on-the-job experience working in real software teams within project groups delivering sensor systems to our customers. Additional formal technical training to augment the on-the-job training may be provided via taught courses depending on the business needs.
Skills, Qualifications and Knowledge
Ideally you will possess a 2:1, or better, relevant science based honours degree e.g. Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Electronic Engineering (BSc (Hon)/ BEng (Hon)/ MEng) with a reasonable level of experience of developing software in industry or an equivalent research and development organisation and want to further your career.
You should have experience of the following:
- Programming in an object-oriented programming language such as C++
- OOD (Object Oriented Design) and UML (Unified Modelling Language)
- Developing software for a real-time embedded environment.
- MDE (Model Driven Engineering)
- Some of: DOORS, Rhapsody, Dimensions, MatLab, VxWorks or similar tools
This is mainly an office based role using display screen equipment but you will also work in a development lab and occasionally in a production area in a clean room environment. Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad hoc basis will be required. Occasional travel within the UK and abroad with overnight stays may be required.
The nature of the tasks involved means that any candidate being considered for the position must be capable of achieving full SC security clearance.
To apply for this role, please click the Apply button.