Senior Digital Hardware Engineer
Senior Digital Hardware Engineer
Leonardo - Engineering the future
We are an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions.
We employ 4,000 people across the UK with 2,000 based at the Edinburgh site. In addition to achieving Investors In People accreditation, we won the Queens Awards for enterprise and international trade. We are entering a period of expansion offering exciting opportunities to work at the forefront of technology. With a large proportion of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals.
Where will you find our work?
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- We provided the perimeter security for the Commonwealth Games
- Our thermal camera was used in the BBC’s Winter Watch
- We are number 1 in Airborne Infra-Red Counter Measures, in Airborne Laser Designators and in Airborne Radar outside of the US
The Electronics Engineering Function in Edinburgh requires a Senior Digital Hardware Engineer to join our innovative Digital Team who design complex high speed digital Printed Circuit Boards (PCB) for airborne applications that utilise the latest FPGAs, Microprocessors and high speed interconnect technologies. You are expected to have a degree in Electronics and Electrical Engineering, or related science, ideally specialising in digital design techniques.
Key Responsibility Areas
You will be responsible for the design and integration of complex digital circuits.
Skills, Qualifications & Experience Required
- Analysing system level requirements and understanding their application to digital designs
- Experience in the use of Schematic Capture tools (Mentor Graphics DxDesigner or equivalent)
- Experience of hardware design of complexFPGA based designs
- Experience of hardware design of complex Microprocessor based designs
- Experience of high speed serial communication protocols and architectures
- Adopting a methodical approach to the full hardware design lifecycle, working to a structured hardware process is required
- Experience of de-bugging and testing new designs and supporting module and system related test, verification and integration project phases
- Ability to interface with suppliers of key components and assemblies
- Ability to communicate effectively across different disciplines both verbally and in written form
- Ability to work on own or as part of a team to resolve technical issues
- Must be self-motivated and have an aptitude to problem solve and driving difficult issues to conclusion
- Experience of designs utilising ADCs and DACs
- Experience of low noise mixed signal design
- Experience of Firmware (FPGA) designs
- Previous experience of working with Radar systems
- This is mainly an office based role using Display Screen Equipment but you will also work in a development lab and occasionally in a production area in a clean room environment.
- Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad hoc basis will be required.
- Occasional travel within the UK and abroad with overnight stays may be required.
- The nature of the tasks involved means that any candidates applying for the position must be capable of achieving UK Security Check (SC) clearance, which normally requires candidates to have been resident in the UK for a minimum of 5 years.
To apply for this role, please click the Apply button.