Senior Systems Engineer
Senior Systems Engineer
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for aerospace, defence and security. We employ 4,000 people across the UK, with 2,000 based at the Edinburgh site. As our Airborne and Space division continues to grow, we need more talent to join us in providing industry-leading capability to the UK and our allies.
Leonardo’s airborne radar technology provides best-in-class performance in fire control on the Eurofighter Typhoon, with a full suite of air-to-air and air-to-surface modes. Evolution of the Captor-E radar (the Euroradar Programme) presents opportunities to work at the forefront of technology development within a community of highly skilled professional engineers. We are seeking an experienced Systems Safety Engineer to join our development team in this complex, multi-national project.
Reporting to the Euroradar UK Workshare Product Safety Engineer Lead, the role involves:
- Safety Requirements elicitation and elaboration
- Building customer confidence in the safety of the radar system
- Physical safety analysis
- Influencing the system design to mitigate safety risks and comply with Safety Requirements.
The role is initially as part of a development programme, covering mainly design and ground- and flight-testing, but in time will expand to cover all lifecycle stages.
Key Responsibility Areas
As a Euroradar Systems Safety Engineer, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Identify and manage Safety Requirements
- Physical hazard analysis, including personnel hazards during manufacture, installation and maintenance, and hazards to the aircraft
- Identification of necessary safety mitigations, and design trade-offs
- Review of technical design and related documentation from safety perspective
- Compliance with relevant safety-related legislation
- Consider the impact of work done by our international partners
- Contribute to the Euroradar Safety Case
- Provide systems safety advice and support to the programme technical management and design teams
- Contribute to design reviews
- Contribute to evidence required to certify the system for field testing and operational use, liaising with the Design Integrity team
- Support incident reporting and analysis
- Support internal independent safety audits, conducted by the Design Integrity team
- Active member of the Leonardo System Safety team, promoting the systems safety process throughout the Airborne and Space division.
Skills, Qualifications & Experience Required
- Degree in a relevant technical discipline
- Physical safety experience within a safety-critical industry
- Proven experience of conducting hazard analysis, including through workshop facilitation, and FMECA
- Detailed understanding of different systems safety standards, including Defence Standards, and their application at platform and systems level
- Ability to communicate clearly on highly technical matters, in verbal and written English
The following would be beneficial, but are not essential:
- Training in systems safety, either through MSc in safety-critical engineering or several short courses
- Training in the use of systems safety tools
- Functional safety experience
- Knowledge of airborne radar systems engineering and platform integration
- Experience of working within Integrated Programme Teams
- Experience within defence or aircraft environments
- Experience of systems safety tools, including Adelard ASCE and fault tree analysis tools
Candidates must be able to gain UK security clearance, preferably already holding SC clearance.
- The role will require some overseas travel, mainly within Europe.
- This is an office-based role using display screen equipment.
To apply for this role, please click the Apply button.