Senior Optical Engineer
Senior Optical Engineer
Key Responsibility Areas
The successful candidate will be required to conduct specialist optical engineering activities in support of development and production projects to ensure timely delivery of high quality military electro-optic products. These activities include optical analysis and design using commercial tools as well as optical testing and measurement in laboratory and production environments.
The candidate should have experience modelling or designing optical systems using appropriate commercial tools (e.g. ZEMAX, ASAP or equivalent). An advanced understanding of optical physics and a broad understanding and familiarity with imaging systems is also required.
An appreciation of the mechanical and electrical design aspects of electro-optical systems is beneficial and it is desirable that the candidate has experience working in a production environment. The candidate should have strong laboratory skills.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
1. Carry out optical design activities using ZEMAX and ASAP software packages.
2. Optical Engineering support to build and integration phases of all projects
3. Optical Engineering support to production
4. Optical prototype testing during the development phase
5. Specification of optical test equipment required for both development and production phases.
6. Adherence to Optical Design procedures and maintenance of design records in accordance with ISO 9001.
7. Liaison with suppliers of optical components and assemblies.
Skills, Qualifications and Knowledge
- B. Sc. in Physics or Optoelectronics (E)
- M. Sc in Applied Optics (D)
- Optical Design and Analysis
- Involvement in the development and/or manufacture of optical systems
- Direct involvement with optical component and coating manufacturers
- Good Leadership Skills
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Team Player
This is an office based and laboratory based role using display screen equipment working full time hours which can often be in a demanding environment. As part of this role you will be expected to travel possibly both in the UK and abroad, you will also be expected to stay overnight as part of this travel. Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad hoc basis will be required. It is a requirement of the role to work with Lasers of Class 3R and above.
To apply for this role, please click the Apply button.
Apply for Senior Optical Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly