Senior Mechanical Engineer
Leonardo is major defence manufacturer at the forefront of advanced engineering solutions to radar, electronic warfare, laser and electro-optic sensor systems. Our sensor systems are used in the most challenging environments where innovative engineering, design and manufacture are essential for reliable operation. Our tradition of rugged reliability is being extended to encompass the use of additive manufacturing to further enhance our product range. Leonardo wishes to recruit a Mechanical Engineer with Additive Manufacturing (AM) experience to add a new dimension to mechanical engineering design. Working with our Mechanical Engineering Team and laser engineers in our applied research programme you will be instrumental in the implementation of AM and CAD modelling to identify novel engineering solutions for military electro-optic sensor systems.
We are seeking an innovative Mechanical Engineer with proven AM experience who is able to identify new engineering solutions which offer improved performance in compact, lightweight, rugged functional design and develop them from concept through prototyping to production. The role is an excellent opportunity for a motivated, creative mechanical engineer with the vision to understand an emerging technology and the revolution in innovative design it offers.
The successful candidate will also play a major role in the development of a new supply chain and developing certification and quality assurance protocols which will be essential for production standard 3D printing. This is an exciting opportunity to increase the capability for the design using AM within Leonardo which has been identified internally as a high priority.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Instrumental in new product development with AM applications for future product development including design concepts, embedded sensing, performance modelling and assessment, and certification.
- Conduct cost benefit analyses to quantify the economic advantages of AM in production. Recommends, assesses and implements design changes to optimise for AM and reviews these with the mechanical engineering function.
- Documents testing and assessment procedures to prove out AM designs for qualification.
- Identifies additional additive manufacturing opportunities within the product line and works with the mechanical engineering function to put together a cost comparison and value proposition.
- Motivates and educates site engineering to promote the use of AM where appropriate.
- Experience of Design for AM methodologies.
- Seek and share good practice and knowledge locally to continuously improve own practices.
- Working to timescales.
- Work as a contributory engineering team member
- Mechanical design and development using 3D CAD tools.
- Provide technical direction/support on critical business programmes to ensure delivery of mechanical engineering excellence.
- Provide key support to critical technical problem investigations and deliver effective solutions.
- Mentor design engineers with on-the-job coaching.
- Support and facilitate reviews and sign off release of mechanical designs in accordance with business and industry standards.
- Champion improvements in product manufacturability through effective relationship building and design guidance.
- Build effective cross functional relationships within local site, across business and internationally within group and suppliers.
- Support mechanical management team in process and departmental improvementand development activities.
- Continue professional development throughout your career by formal training, learning "on the job" and keeping up to date with the latest developments which may aid performance.
Skills, Qualifications & Experience Required
- You will hold a minimum of an upper second class MEng in Mechanical Engineering and a PhD or EngD in an AM related discipline is desirable.
- You will have experience in industry using Additive Manufacturing.
- Experience with CAD, designing for Additive Manufacturing, topology optimisation and finite element analyses.
- You should be a Chartered Engineer with IMechE or equivalent. Alternatively you must possess and be able to demonstrate that you have the UK-SPEC competencies necessary in obtaining Chartered status with the IMechE.
- Engineering design and development – process of delivering products and associated key milestones.
- Problem solving and simultaneous engineering – structured, logical approach to investigate issues and problems in an effective cross-functional manner.
- Mechanical engineering detailed design - first-hand experience of engineering design, numerical calculations, tolerance studies, etc.
- Delegation - ability to effectively delegate tasks to appropriate engineers and provide required level of support.
- Customer orientation - demonstrate ability of fulfilling customer requirements (internal and/or external).
- Business awareness - understanding of fundamental business principles, drivers and key customers.
- Self -motivated and willing to take on new challenges.
- Good communications skills (written & oral) are essential.
- The ability to develop good working relationships with stakeholders.
- Results orientated.
- Confident in their subject and decisive with ideas and recommendations.
- Supportive mentor – provide technical guidance/ recommendations to problems/ projects and individuals.
- Respectful of others with a high degree of personal integrity.
- Effective listener – understand others points of view.
- Challenge ideas, proposed solutions and people in a constructive,positive manner.
- Keen to develop others.
- Business focussed – "best" technical solution not always most appropriate for business.
- Effective decision maker who can effectively demonstrate empowerment and delegation.
- Cost and schedule conscious.
- Ability to make effective trade-offs – cost, quality and schedule.