Ocado is a rapidly growing online grocer. This is an exciting opportunity to work in a fast-paced growing company which also leads and thrives on engineering-based innovations.
Ocado’s vision is to implement most-efficient warehouses around the globe. This makes Ocado a very exciting place for engineers and scientists to contribute towards “factories of the future”.
The Product Development team at Ocado Engineering aims to achieve this vision by constantly pushing the bounds of technology and working towards creating and maintaining highly reliable products/machinery for the warehouses.
The reliability team within Product Development is therefore continually looking for people motivated to use their skills and capabilities in ensuring reliable products are being released and set high performance standards for future products.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
The key functions of the Reliability Engineer for existing products are:
- To support the identification of root cause through implementation of appropriate problem-solving strategies.
- To quantify the impact on reliability of any design changes or cost down recommendations by collating, interpreting and reporting the test results.
- To manage or carry out experiments/testing for new issues arising in the field.
- To define appropriate test strategies to prove that fixes or changes have achieved desired outcome of improved reliability.
The key functions of the Reliability Engineer for new product developments are:
- To define verification methods using appropriate analysis tools which will ensure new products achieve their reliability targets in the field.
- To analyse and de-risk new product(s) from reliability standpoint using FMEAs, interface analysis, reliability block diagrams etc.
- To provide validation of supplier reliability claims through appropriate test strategies.
- To support senior team members in creating reliability, availability and maintainability requirements for new products.
- To support development of test rigs in conjunction with the design teams.
- To manage or carry out the testing.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- First or upper second class honours degree in an engineering discipline, Computer Science, Physics or Mathematics
- Excellent numerical, modelling and problem-solving skills
- Ability to conduct technical experiments and interpret the results correctly
- Ability to produce and present technical findings across all business levels.
- Proficient in use of MS-Office
- A high degree of Attention to detail is a must
- Proactive and a ‘Completer-Finisher’ personality
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise work
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to learn and a “Can-do” attitude
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- A statistics based post-graduate qualification
- Awareness of reliability techniques (e.g. FMECA, FTA, ETA, RAM analysis)
- Understanding of Reliability growth testing and accelerated-life testing methods
- Knowledge of Six Sigma problem-solving methodology (i.e. Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve and Control stages)
- Experience of collating, analysing and interpreting large data sets to assess reliability of a component, sub-assembly or a system
- Experience of coaching and running internal workshops on reliability tools & methods
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination site
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.