Flight Physics Engineer
Flight Physics Engineer
If you have a background in applied aerodynamics and/or flight dynamics, this is an amazing opportunity to help a game-changing business transform the world of aviation as we know it.
Vertical Aerospace is an exciting new company that’s looking to change how the public views and uses the aviation industry. As part of this, we are developing a Personal Electric Aircraft.
We’ve pushed beyond the concept stage and are now looking to develop and certify the production version. As such, we’re now looking for a Flight Physics Engineer to join our team.
- Competitive salary
- 4% flexible benefits
- 3% pension
- The chance to join a passionate team with unrivalled technical expertise
- An innovative and forward-thinking culture
- The opportunity to support a unique, ground-breaking project with huge potential
In this exciting role, you’ll have the opportunity to play a key part in the creation of a new aircraft with the potential to transform the aviation industry.
You will join a talented and fresh-thinking team who are striving to deliver performance, ideas and concepts that make a real difference.
We believe that great engineering is about the elegance and efficiency of doing more with less. So, if you want to think outside the box, push the boundaries of what is considered normal and have the freedom to explore and develop your ideas, this is the role for you.
As a Flight Physics Engineer, you’ll support the development of our new aircraft.
Your role will focus on the generation of aerodynamic loads and performance data to support vehicle design and influence aircraft configuration and sizing.
Reporting to the Head of Flight Physics, you will:
- Use a combination of hand calculations, computational modelling and experimental results to generate design data
- Develop and validate methods and tools to enable the rapid turnaround of analyses
- Help to interpret aerodynamic calculations
- Provide load cases for structural design, data on vehicle performance, stability and control
- Recommend ways to evolve designs
- Prepare specifications for physical tests
- Assist with build and fault-finding activities
To join us as a Flight Physics Engineer, you’ll need:
- At least three years’ experience of applied aerodynamics and/or flight dynamics in an industrial environment
- A Master’s degree in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering or equivalent
Ideally, you’ll be proficient in MATLAB or Simulink, but this isn’t essential. Experience of any of the following would also be beneficial: CFD methods for external aerodynamics and software, particularly ANSYS, aerodynamic load case definition and data generation or experimental aerodynamics.
Knowledge and practical experience in any of the following would also be an advantage: flight loads, aeroelastics, aircraft performance and flying qualities or aircraft layout and sizing.
Other companies may call this role Flight Physics Engineer, Aviation Physics Engineer, Aerodynamics Engineer, Flight Dynamics Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Aerospace Engineer or Aviation Engineer.
Webrecruit and Vertical Aerospace are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and believe that the more inclusive we environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you are looking to take your next step as a Flight Physics Engineer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.