The National Physical Laboratory (NPL) is the UK`s National Measurement Institute, and is a world-leading centre of excellence in developing and applying the most accurate measurement standards, science, engineering and technology available. We sit at the intersection between scientific discovery and real world application and for more than a century NPL has developed and maintained the nation`s primary measurement standards.
NPL ensures that cutting-edge measurement science, engineering and technology have a positive impact in the real world and deliver world-leading measurement solutions that are critical to commercial research and development, and support business success across the UK and the globally. Our mission is to provide the measurement capability that underpins the UK`s prosperity and quality of life.
We are expanding several technical areas and have opportunities for engineers to join us with experience in designing and building analogue and digital electronics. This will be in support of internal facility development and externally focussed products which need professional, well designed systems.
This role would be part of a multidisciplinary team of engineers and scientists who working in collaboration will develop whole systems, all of which include electronics.
• Designing circuits and electronics systems to meet a specification defined by a project
• Taking designs and prototypes created by someone else and translating them into robust circuits, or sub-systems, or full products
• Modelling and simulation supporting complex electronic system implementations
• Taking design responsibility for sub-systems which must be integrated into systems
• Providing technical input and review to a variety of projects across the business
• An undergraduate degree or equivalent experience in engineering, physics or material science
• Work experience within an engineering or research and development environment
• A rigorous approach to problem solving and ability develop solutions to difficult problems
• An inquisitive mind and willingness to interact dynamically within a team
• Research Scientist level - Aptitude and proven experience in study of electronics and background theory. A track record of creating well designed systems.
• Senior Research Scientist candidates - Significant experience in developing electronics systems and leadership ability both in terms of your technical area and manage a small team under you
• Excellent written and verbal communication
Applicants for more senior positions will be expected have good customer facing skills and contribute to applying for funding and exhibiting leadership in their technical area and potentially staff management.
We are interested in hearing from ambitious engineers with skills in electronics looking to build their careers in a diverse environment, and experienced electronics engineers who would also take on leadership responsibility.
See what it is like being in the Engineering group at NPL – check out our vlogs from our current team.
Please note this role is being advertised across multiple zones. Offer and salary will be dependent on experience.
We will be reviewing applications prior to the official close date, so we may change the close date if needed.
Based in a unique, purpose-built research environment, we are located in beautiful surroundings on the edge of Bushy Park, south-west London with a host of onsite facilities. These include a subsidised crèche, restaurant and free parking.
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting its people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities. NPL Management Limited is a Stonewall Diversity Champion and an Institute of Physics Project Juno Practitioner.