Job Ref: 2376
Job type: Permanent Full Time
Location: Culham, Oxfordshire
Salary: £44,959 to £50,272 including MPP pa dependent on experience plus industry leading benefits including an outstanding pension scheme
Closing date: 25th April 2018
Wanted: talented mechanical engineers to help bring fusion power to the grid.
One of the world`s leading fusion research laboratories, the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority`s Culham Centre for Fusion Energy (CCFE) in Oxfordshire, England, is recruiting bright and enthusiastic Mechanical Engineers who can initiate, develop and analyse mechanical designs to realise cutting-edge technology. Successful candidates will take a leading role in mechanical design and analysis work in a project team environment, and be expected to engage in procurement, installation and commissioning of new components and systems. The ideal candidate would be able to provide engineering project technical leadership, and provide input and technical expertise to projects within the company.
Please download the application pack for the full job description and more information on our outstanding employee benefits.
Nuclear fusion, the process that powers the Sun, can play a big part in our carbon-free energy future. Our vision for a future secure, sustainable energy supply is fusion power on the grid. If you want to help shape the future of the world`s energy, and see why CCFE is a great place to work please watch our recruitment video via the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77D3F3ILl98
Applications are welcome from less experienced candidates seeking career development who fulfil the essential criteria for the role
Knowledge skills and experience
- A relevant engineering degree or equivalent.
- Experience in originating and progressing designs from concept through to detailed design, to a given set of requirements and constraints.
- Established capability in engineering analysis and a good working knowledge of engineering materials and their properties.
- Knowledge and experience in at least one of the following engineering disciplines: heat transfer and fluid flow, structural hand calculations, finite element analysis, and design for manufacture.
- Experience in writing technical reports.
- A strong can-do approach to work and able to communicate at all levels of the business and with customers.
- Proven track record of leading highly technical teams involving the above disciplines delivering high performance designs.
- Experience of practical vacuum technology, electromagnetic systems, and supervising installation of complex mechanical systems.
- Experience with working to design standards (particularly pressure vessel standards).
- Experience in producing bids for design work or placing contracts with industry
- Chartered status with the IMechE (or equivalent institution)
- Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete security clearance.
- As part of your role you could be asked to work in radiation controlled areas or in beryllium controlled areas. Full training and medical assessments will be provided if this is necessary
The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.
Applications are welcome from less experienced candidates seeking career development who fulfil the essential criteria for the role attracting a salary range of £32,993-£37,069 pa (including MPP).