Systems Engineer 2156
The Security & Information Systems Division (S&IS) is a pivotal innovator, supplying safety through technology, to provide our customers with more efficient, safe and secure products and services, whatever their requirements.
The S&IS Division is a world leader in safety-through-technology, providing tailored solutions for customers in public administration, public safety and security, critical infrastructure, services, transport, large companies, post and logistics.
S&IS (UK) is at the forefront of supplying technology and services for both civil and defence markets, in both the UK and around the world, to enhance the capabilities of its Customers.
We are looking for creative thinkers who have a passion for applying technology to solve real world problems and developing our next generation of world beating products.
Job Description - Senior Systems Engineer (DM&I)
Leonardo requires a Senior Systems Engineer to join its Enterprise Security Engineering Team based in Bristol. You will become a key member of the Data Management and Integration (DM&I) Capability Team and you will have demonstrable experience within a systems engineering role at a senior level, preferably within in a secure environment, with technical experience relevant to the capability area. As a senior engineer you will also mentor and coach junior members of the team along with deputising for the Lead Engineer when required.
You will be a member of a specialised engineering team that is responsible for the systems engineering efforts across multiple active projects and bids. You should be comfortable working alongside other specialist colleagues and subject-matter experts on multiple engineering lifecycle phases including architectural design, detailed system/subsystem design, implementation and customer-facing testing.
You should have a strong all round technical ability with an excellent working knowledge of systems infrastructure technologies and a specialism towards data and systems integration. Current projects will require an awareness of cyber security capabilities, an outward-facing approach to new technology integration and the ability to think innovatively when faced with engineering challenges.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Ability to understand, interpret and engineer complex and often conflicting customer requirements
- To be able to expand a high-level design into a low-level design using technical experience, judgement and best practice
- Ability to confidently select the best approach, tools and products for a given task and justify these choices coherently both verbally in written communication
- Development of systems engineering artefacts including documentation to support the delivery and maintenance of system solutions
- Provide specialist technical support to the Business Unit supporting the project or wider programme
- Potential involvement in bid development / evaluations
- Work with external third parties such as vendors / resellers, to develop robust & costed solutions
- Willing and able to mentor others in area of specialism
- Ability to supervise a small team of engineers, being responsible for planning and managing the work for yourself and the team, coaching more junior team members and taking technical responsibility for delivery of the team's work packages
- Good communication and people interaction skills, including leading presentations and group discussions.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
Skills and experience in the following areas is mandatory:
- Demonstrable experience of working with SIEM toolsets and managing event flows and log aggregation across a variety of sources, including design, support and enhancements
- Competent in the operation and administration of Unix/Linux and Windows operating systems
- A firm grasp of open source technology
- Scripting experience across a range of languages such as Python, Bash and PowerShell, focusing on automation and integration
- Experience working with APIs to achieve an integration objective between dissimilar systems
- Experience of working with both relational and unstructured data using a variety of toolsets across heterogeneous environments, and visualisation of such data.
Skills and experience in the following areas is advantageous:
- Experience of a broad range of cyber security tools such as Nessus, SourceFire, Cisco, Palo Alto, RSA Netwitness, NetScout, EDR / EPP forensics, McAfee, and their integration into a cyber security solution
- Experience of Splunk Enterprise system design and implementation
- Automated build tooling such as Puppet and Docker
- Automated patch management tools such as Spacewalk
- Experience of working with virtualisation technologies
- Enterprise networking & services (TCP/IP networks, devices & services e.g. DHCP/DNS)
- Experience with enterprise system monitoring and administration toolsets
- Cloud platform exposure (Azure, AWS)
- Previous experience of working within secure / isolated / air-gapped environments.
You will possess the following personal characteristics
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work under broad direction, with minimal supervision, in challenging technical environments
- Ability to communicate technical solutions to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to manage own and other’s workloads, across multiple tasks, whilst balancing time and quality
- Strive for excellence in engineering activities, both personally and professionally
- Personable and flexible, willing to work in a highly focused environment
- Highly motivated, with the aptitude to learn new skills and inspire colleagues to do the same
- Ability to be innovative
- Able to mentor and coach junior members of the team
- Ability to deputise for the Lead Engineer when required.
Key intrinsic job factors applicable to the role are as follows:
- Security clearance to SC level (min) will be required prior to starting in this role, so being eligible for, and willing and able to undertake, the clearance process is essential
- The ability to travel within the UK and abroad (up to 50% of the time)
Why join Leonardo?
At Leonardo, we believe that our employees work best when they are able to achieve balance between work and other aspects of life. That's why we are committed to designing policies and developing a working environment that promote the benefits and well-being of all our employees.
We want to support you and encourage you to fulfil your potential through:
Flexible working and additional flex-leave schemes: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life.
Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.
Learning & Development: We help assess your development needs in line with the role you wish to perform, and allow you to further develop your knowledge.
Award-winning pension scheme: Our multi-award-winning pension scheme includes generous employer contribution.
Employee discount schemes: We offer you and your family an attractive range of discounts from retail and cinema to hotel bookings and vehicles benefits.
Generous relocation package: We offer an excellent package to ease the move for people relocating for work.
Maternity leave: We have very flexible working arrangements and advantageous Maternity Policy
Free parking: This is available on or near all our sites.
Reserve Forces: We provide positive support to the Reserve Forces and allow employees who are Reservists to take additional time off.
Salary sacrifice schemes including childcare voucher scheme: We encourage working parents to save money on childcare by offering them several advantageous facilities and vouchers.
Paternity, parental, adoption and dependent leave: We care to ensure that we consider every aspect of your needs. All these policies are covered as part of our Work-Life Balance Policy.
Career break: Where appropriate, we support our employees in pursuing other interests outside the workplace.
The company is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. Decisions about recruitment and selection will be made objectively and without unlawful or unfair discrimination.
Apply for Systems Engineer 2156
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly