Lead (EW) Systems Engineer x5
The EW Systems Lead Engineer is required to support various projects ensuring that delivered systems meet customer and design requirements for function, performance and qualification in all its aspects. The position will involve working closely with and leading engineering teams, suppliers and customers to specify, document, and manage system and subsystem requirements and designs throughout the entire project life cycle.
These positions can be based at either Southampton or Basildon
Key Responsibility Areas
- Developing solution architectures for optimum cost effectiveness and SRD compliance.
- Establishing system level requirements and their subsequent derived requirements for flow down to the lower level subsystems.
- Leading technical interfaces with the customer as regards solution architecture, design and performance.
- Taking a lead role in main project engineering reviews and approval of engineering deliverable at each project decision milestone.
- Produce system architectures and derive requirements at all system and sub system levels.
- Assessing Solution architectures and technical choices in order to ensure the best trade-off between the requirements and solution consistent with schedule, cost, make-or-buy strategy.
- Support systems engineers in requirements capture and sub system design.
- Work with multiple stakeholders in finalising system level designs.
- Ensuring the solution architectural design satisfies the customer needs, and that the technical risks are identified and mitigated.
- Alerting and escalating technical issues as required.
- Analysis of the technical specification and source selection of subsystems/products to be outsourced taking into account make-or-buy policy & export restrictions.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
The following skills and experience are required:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in an engineering or engineering related discipline.
- Experience in Defence Electronic Warfare (EW) systems, techniques and products.
- Experience of delivering EW Systems Engineering activities on multiple applications/projects.
- Record of successful design, implementation and integration of either:
- Radar and Communication Electronic Support Measure (ESM) systems;
- Electronic Attack / Counter Measures (EA/ECM) systems;
- Direction Finding (DF) and geolocation systems;
- EW command and control (C2) systems; and
- Communications systems, including radio and satellite.
- Experience of dealing with customers at a senior technical level.
- Experience of formal user requirements capture, traceability and compliance management methodology and tool.
- Experience of IBM DOORS tool is desirable.
- Understanding and experience of the application of transversal engineering disciplines Environmental & EMC Qualification, Tempest, Safety, Security, Information Assurance, Human Factors, ARM&T).
- Experience in UK MOD and other defence related areas. Holding, or be capable of attaining, UK SC security clearance.
- Work under general direction within a clear framework of accountability and exercise substantial personal responsibility and autonomy.
- Plan their own work to meet given objectives and processes and influence their team and specialist peers internally.
- Make decisions that influence the success of projects and team objectives and perform a broad range of complex technical or professional work activities, in a variety of contexts.
- Capable of selecting appropriately from applicable standards, methods, tools and applications and demonstrate an analytical and systematic approach to problem solving, communicating fluently orally and in writing, and can present complex technical information to both technical and nontechnical audiences.
- Plan, schedule and monitor their work to meet time and quality targets and in accordance with relevant legislation and procedures, rapidly absorbing new technical information and applying it effectively.
This is an office-based role using display screen equipment, working full time hours which can often be in a demanding environment, with occasional travel throughout the UK and abroad.