5 days left
- Full Time
Please visit www.ocadoengineering.com for more information.
The Project Engineer will have technical responsibility for engineering related activities to support the Senior Project Engineer and Engineering Project Manager for the delivery of Automation projects and within budget to support growth, reduce operating cost and improve efficiency for Ocado’s 24/7 high speed, highly automated customer fulfilment centres.
The Project Engineer will work on Engineering, Electromechanical and Automation research and development projects which will be delivered using the department development cycle through from conceptualisation, through proof of concept, prototyping etc through to realisation and implementation.
The Project Engineer will be responsible for:
- Working within a stage-gated development project plan for larger projects owned by the Engineering Project Manager with responsibility for deliverable, timescales and costs of various work packages. Generation and ownership of a similar plan for smaller projects.
- Vendor selection to identify new suppliers and partners capable of supporting the delivery of innovative system and technology and the consequential management of chosen vendors to ensure deliverables are met and ensuring appropriate contractual arrangements are in place.
- Matrix management of appropriate internal departmental resource and expertise to support innovation and delivery
- Risk management – identifying opportunities to accelerate development or reduce risk through using sound engineering principles to plan and carry out de-risk activities to support project delivery.
- Taking product business requirements and able to turn these into technical requirements. Taking specifications and planning out the activities, in collaboration with the EPM for large projects and the resource required to ensure these criteria are achieved in the final product and determining engineering activity schedules by studying project plan and specifications; calculating time requirements; sequencing engineering resource activities accordingly.
- Turning business requirements into technical requirements for smaller projects.
- Stakeholder management through clear and regular communication of development cycle progress to stakeholders at all levels.
- Communication Skills – Ability to give effective and engaging presentations to general audiences and be able to communicate effectively engineering topics to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Ensure that engineering activity meets regulatory compliance standards and assist in the completion of the TCF.
- Project management – Working with the Senior Project Engineer and Engineering Project Manager to plan and manage projects or sub- tasks, which are tracked against the overall project plan
- Transfer to manufacture – where appropriate ensuring products are suitable for transfer to manufacture in conjunction with the NPI team.
- Project closure – in conjunction with the Product Rollout Manager ensuring that product and associated documentation meet the criteria for entry into the product catalogue and for handover to Central Engineering.
- Ensuring that appropriate contractual arrangements are negotiated and in place for projects which are solely owned by the Project Engineer.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- An Engineering qualification, to HND or Degree level
- Good technical ability (or experience) relating to automation hardware. Experience with electronics, robotics and vision is highly preferable.
- Hands-on site experience in installation and commissioning of equipment and systems.
- Proven track record in system or technical design and delivery.
- Experience in managing project budgets.
- Experience in identifying areas for testing from empirical and evidence derived site data and make appropriate recommendations to engineer out and test these areas for future product developments
- Being able to manage variations from the specification and consult stakeholders as appropriate and gain resolution
- Ability to design & propose alternative solutions when faced with project and technical barriers.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences by giving effective and engaging presentations to general audiences and be able to communicate effectively.
- Experience in assessing and quantifying technical risks and devising appropriate de-risking activities.
- Ability to quantify requirements which are only expresses in qualitative terms and, in combination with the reliability team, generate effective verification plans to prove those requirements in absolute terms and conform to regulatory compliance standards
Preferred (in addition to minimum)
- Has taken a course in technical problem solving skills, (such as TRIZ), and root cause analysis.
● Life Assurance
● Private Medical Insurance
● 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
● Employee Assistance Program
● Free Shares
● Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
● Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination site
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.