Mechanical Design Engineer
Mechanical Design Engineer
Ocado is an award-winning online retailer revolutionising grocery shopping in the UK who continually report double digit growth. Our Product Development Team are developing our own technology and new customer propositions allowing the business to open multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships. We pride ourselves on the quality of ours goods, people and technological advances that power everything we do.
This role is to enable Ocado to retain UK sector lead and to grow nationally and internationally through the development of new automation products and equipment.
The role is:
- Reporting to the Design Manager in the product development team.
- Attending Brainstorming sessions, capturing vital details and developing concepts from there. This could be for automated machines, their sub systems or their components.
- Presenting the concepts to the wider team.
- Making recommendations regarding doing the detail design in house or by a third party.
- Supporting the transfer to a manufacturer for production of between 10s and 1000s off.
- Design review of existing designs.
- Design of robotic cells, grippers or other fixtures.
- Solving engineering problems plus relevant investigation activities.
- Approving and signing off drawings.
- Setting mechanical engineering best practice within the R&D Team.
- Be able to support/manage both internal and external design resources.
Experience and Skills Required:
- A good Engineering Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- A proven track record in design of complex electromechanical automation systems, machines or products that have gone into production.
- Expert in CAD. Preferably Autodesk Autocad and, Autodesk Inventor.
- Practical experience and thorough knowledge of applying the standards relating to the Machinery Directive.
- The ability to generate the supporting calculations required for a Technical File and Certification. (CE, UL CSA or other)
- The ability to work within a team on multiple projects, to prioritise tasks and to manage your time.
- Experience of delivering work packages to time and budget constraints.
- Experience of system/component reliability. (Preferred).
You will be:
- Detail orientated.
- Proficient in understanding the effects of the accumulated variation i.e tolerance stack up and manufacturing tolerances.
- Able to identify and mitigate risk via modelling, proof of concept, simulation etc.
- Fully conversant with relevant regulatory and safety standards to design CE / UL and CSA compliant products.
- Proficient in documentation version control, design review and sign off processes.
- Used to working in a fast paced, changing environment.
- A self-motivated, team player, flexible and willing to learn.
- Willing to travel both in the UK and abroad to attend meetings and conferences.