Job Ref: 2860
Job type: Permanent Full Time
Location: Culham, Oxfordshire
Salary: £32,993 to £37,069 pa (including MPP), dependent on experience plus industry leading benefits including an outstanding pension scheme
Closing date: 10th August 2018
Are you an experienced technician/supervisor with excellent communication and planning skills?
Do you have a background in construction supervision with a relevant qualification?
Do you have substantial knowledge and industry experience working on radiation shielding or building services penetrations?
The UK Atomic Energy Authority have an excellent opportunity for a Building Technician to join their Shielding and Penetrations team within the Engineering Support Department. The team consists of circa 5 employees and are responsible for the installation, maintenance and modification of service penetrations through Radiation Shielding across the UKAEA estate at Culham.
Key accountabilities/responsibilities include:
- Take responsibility for preparation of written safe systems of work and risk assessments for assigned packages of work.
- Take responsibility for planning, installation and commissioning of assigned radiological shielding works.
- Gain familiarity with key radiological shielding components and associated technology.
- Set to work and supervise experienced tradesmen, ensuring UKAEA operational priorities are fully supported.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
For further information on why UKAEA is a great place to work please review our recruitment video via the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77D3F3ILl98
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits please download the application pack by clicking the ‘Apply’ button.
Knowledge skills and experience
- HND/HNC or equivalent in construction technology or engineering.
- Must demonstrate a high level of understanding of Written Safe Systems of Works.
- Knowledge of fabrication techniques and workshop practices.
- Experience of diamond tip core drilling for service penetrations.
- Membership of a professional engineering institution.
- Knowledge of service penetration sealing techniques.
- Knowledge of radiological shielding technology and materials.
- There is a requirement to work in active areas, with hazardous materials, and at height.
- There is an occasional requirement to be available to work extended hours/weekends.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- Please note UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.