Energy Systems Engineer
At QinetiQ we’re dedicated to defending sovereign capability, protecting lives and securing the vital interests of our customers.
We are a company of over 6,000 dedicated people providing technological and scientific expertise that helps our customers protect, improve and advance their vital interests.
Working across every aspect of the life cycle of critical equipment and infrastructure, providing services and products that address our customers' most pressing challenges; our breadth and depth of experience spans many markets and industries.
The Energy Systems Engineer will support the business in reducing its operating costs, environmental impact, and improving the operational resilience to energy supply disruptions, by driving energy efficiency projects across QinetiQ sites. This role will be the technical lead within the sustainability team with respect to the building services design and operation across QinetiQ. They are responsible for influencing the design, selection, installation, and operation of energy consuming systems across QinetiQ sites in the UK to ensure the most sustainable outcome is realised to support achieving the sustainability strategy and targets. They will also support in the delivery of water efficiency improvements as the focus of the team begins to extend beyond energy. The Energy Systems Engineer will actively support Project Managers in the design and selection of plant, technologies, and systems to ensure the most sustainable technical solution is procured. They will have responsibility for some centrally-managed contracts where relevant, such as the BMS maintenance contract, and the meter operation contract,ensuring their effective operation and delivery of value to the QinetiQ business.
- Collaborate with QinetiQ, our partners and the supply chain to identify, deliver and maintain energy and water consumption reductions through the design, selection, installation, and operation of technologies and systems across the QinetiQ estate.
- Developing a structured approach to the optimisation of the BMS utilising internal and external resources. Management of relevant contractors and suppliers with respect to the BMS and metering operations to ensure contractual compliance and demonstrable commercial value to QinetiQ.
- Manage the roll out and on-going contract management of smart metering solutions across the QinetiQ estate.
- Act as a centre of excellence for technical insight and best practice in energy and water saving systems, technologies and controls, working closely with Project Managers to review and influence design.
- Provide support to the Energy & Utilities Manager in the collection and reporting of energy and water data through the TEAM Sigma system, and in the identification and delivery of energy and water saving projects.
- Provide support to the Energy & Utilities Manager and the Head of Sites in the implementation of Energy Management Action Plans supporting the need for continual energy efficiency improvement contributing to QinetiQ’s ISO 50001 certification.
- A sound technical knowledge of building services, HVAC and electrical systems is essential.
- Sound engineering knowledge, particularly relating to the energy efficiency management of building services is essential.
- Working knowledge of metering/sub-metering is essential.
- An understanding of sustainable M&E design principles is desirable.
- Working knowledge of TREND BMS is desirable.
- Ability to oversee commissioning of M&E plant.
- Capable of challenging the “norm” and gain the confidence of other technical colleagues to enable changes to be implemented.
- An understanding of ISO 50001 Energy Management Systems is desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively to achieve engagement with a wide range of stakeholders, both technical and non-technical.
- Ability to work autonomously, and across multiple locations when required. Note: travel will be on a planned basis only (and will not involve call out), and work will be planned to ensure the need to travel is minimised and alternatives e.g. video conferencing, conference calls and remote connectivity to BMS are utilised where possible.
- Ability to organise / prioritise work.
- Degree in Building Services or an Engineering or Science discipline is essential.
- Formal qualification in Energy Management, (e.g. EI’s Level 1: Certificate in Energy Management Essentials, Level 2: Energy Management Professional) is desirable.
- Experience in undertaking technical energy audits is essential.
- Experience in identifying commercially viable energy efficiency projects is desirable
- Demonstrable experience of delivering energy efficiency and controls optimisation works is desirable.
- Experience of design and implementation of metering solutions is desirable.
- A sound working knowledge of TREND BMS is desirable.
- Any experience of TEAM Sigma (or other energy management software suites) would be an advantage.
- Experience in developing or interpreting energy models is desirable.Applicants must be fully conversant with Microsoft Office.
We look for outstanding technical people, creative and analytical thinkers, decisions makers, influencers and excellent communicators. Join us today.