Simulation and Modelling Engineer
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
In our endeavour to push science we are increasingly using closed loop feedbacks on a multitude of properties and timescales from microseconds to weeks. The aim of this role is to support the design, development, commissioning and operational support of control systems (closed loop feedback and feedforward) through the characterisation of system components, development of models of the system, analysis of the model to ascertain performance as part of the overall design process, and the subsequent characterisation and optimisation of the resulting systems.
Your duties include:
• Develop new simulation models of control processes;
• Maintain and improve existing simulation models;
• Measurement and characterisation of systems to correlate with simulation;
• Model and assess system design to ascertain performance as part of the design process;
• Provide technical expertise on control systems and system modelling tools;
• Provide support and analysis of operational control systems;
• Interface with internal customers, including Engineers and Scientists, during the design and development life cycle to provide advice and support in terms of system modeling, analysis and interpreting results;
• Report on progress in all areas on a periodic basis;
• Maintain and develop technical expertise in control theory;
• Maintain a current knowledge of other, comparable, beamline and accelerator projects
• Company benefits
• Life at diamond
Where appropriate for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements and secondment opportunities (e.g. for fixed-term contract positions).
For further information and to apply, please click on the apply button, to visit our website.
Closing date: 11 November 2018.
Diamond are members of the Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion and we have achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level One. Women are underrepresented and so we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women. If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.