Job Ref: 3132
Job type: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Culham, Oxfordshire
Salary: £32,993 - £37,069 pa (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
Closing date: 9th November 2018
Are you an experienced Mechanical Engineer with a relevant degree or equivalent qualification?
Do you have substantial knowledge and industry experience working on design and installation of mechanical systems?
The UK Atomic Energy Authority have an excellent opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer to join their team within the MAST-U Operations department. The team consists of circa 35 employees and are responsible for operating the UK funded fusion experiment.
Key accountabilities/responsibilities include :
- Facilitating design work on systems and sub-systems
- Engineering analysis using classic and numerical methods
- Managing work packages through to installation and commissioning
- Managing maintenance and repair work
- Working as part of a team to ensure work is done to time, budget and specification
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
For further information on why UKAEA is a great place to work please review our recruitment video via the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77D3F3ILl98
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits please download the application pack by clicking the apply button.
Knowledge skills and experience
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Experience of engineering analysis
- Experience in design of mechanical systems including material selection
- Good communication and technical writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience of services such as compressed air or cooling water
- Experience of high or ultra-high vacuum systems
- This role may require you to work shifts
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
- Initial interviews will be held on 4th December 2018 You may be required to attend a final interview on 10th December 2018
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- Please note UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.