NKT Photonics is a dynamic, international high-tech company and a leader in the development, building and supply of high performance fiber lasers and photonic crystal fibers. We employ some of the best and most creative people in our industry and they have helped to make us one of the fastest growing and most innovative photonics companies in the World. At our facility in the UK, our expertise is the development and production of ultrafast laser products and custom laser solutions.
Now is a great time to join us as we embark on significant and hugely exciting growth plans; not just here, but across our global organisation - so be prepared for change and career opportunities!
It’s an exciting, inspiring place to work where we encourage both personal and career development. To support our plans, we are now looking for a talented Optical Engineer to join our growing team.
This would be an ideal move for somebody who has a PhD (or postdoc) in mode locked ultrafast picosecond or femtosecond lasers and is looking to explore new challenges in industry. Alternatively if you are working in a product development role in a similar industry and have knowledge of free space optics, solid state lasers or fiber lasers; this would suit too.
You will contribute to the research and development of the next generation of ultrafast laser systems. Working within a multi-disciplinary team, you will support both the R&D and production teams in the development, assembly and test of custom picosecond and femtosecond prototypes. Along the product journey, you will use your problem-solving skills to deliver innovative solutions to ensure that we stay at the cutting edge of our industry and are able to help our customers develop the next generation of solutions.
- Contribute to both new and existing laser product development activities from concept to transfer to production.
- Work within small teams of professional engineers (optical, electronic and mechanical) within R&D projects.
- Undertake viability testing and contribute to continuous improvement processes.
- Develop processes for assembly and test and write work instructions for successful transfer to manufacturing. Report on the status and development of projects to other areas of the business.
- Document build procedures (as work instructions) and train the production teams to manufacture new systems.
- Design, assemble and test custom laser systems and prepare the documentation prior to delivery to end users.
- Communication is key: as well as generating reports and required quality documentation, you will support other areas within the business (R&D and new business generation) with your technical expertise, as well as providing technical support to help meet the needs of current customers.
- Participate in global product development processes.
- There may be occasional travel to other NKT Photonics offices within Europe.
- Proven, relevant experience in the development of solid state or fiber lasers and free space optics from new product development to delivery to production. Specialist knowledge of ultra-fast laser technology is especially useful.
- Hands-on experience of laser testing, validation and documentation.
- A relevant qualification (Physics, Natural Sciences or similar) is required, possibly gained within a photonics research environment. A good understanding of opto-mechanical assemblies and a basic understanding of electronics for commercial laser system would be useful.
- Fluency in the English language is also important.
- Comfortable working in small project teams; able to communicate at all levels.
- Well-developed analytical abilities; able to question complex information, identify root-cause and effects and deliver inspiring solutions whilst displaying an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Passionate about what you do.
We embrace a culture in which a healthy work-life balance is encouraged; and we promote a positive, supportive working environment. To support our growth plans, we are investing in our facilities and rapidly enlarging our talented teams. We provide a great place to work with good people and exciting, industry leading products.
If we sound like the place you would like to work, please select the button shown to send your CV and a covering letter and we will be in contact soon.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Optical Engineer, Product Development Engineer, New Product Development Engineer, NPD Engineer, Fiber Laser Product Engineer, Product Development, Optical Engineer, Photonics, Fiber Optics, Engineering.