Spectrum Engineer / Senior Spectrum Engineer
6 days left
- Full Time
Spectrum Engineer / Senior Spectrum Engineer
Baldock, Hertfordshire (with travel throughout the UK)
Our client is the independent regulator and competition authority for the UK communications industries. They regulate the TV, radio, fixed-line telecoms, mobile telecoms and postal sectors, plus the radio spectrum over which wireless devices operate.
The Engineering team within the Spectrum group provides high quality technical expertise in support of UK spectrum management activities, both for current deployments aligned with existing regulations, and for analysis and advice on future policy directions as technology and markets evolves.
Purpose of the Role
As part of the Spectrum Engineering team you will be focused on ensuring that new and existing wireless systems can operate without interference to one another. You will provide technical expertise and analytical support in investigating, developing and undertaking complex measurement procedures for existing and emerging technologies operating in the Radio Frequency spectrum. You will also have the opportunity to perform analysis and develop technical policy to enable 5G and other new and innovative wireless services within our client’s Spectrum Group.
Your work will support the company’s mandate for wireless spectrum management and underpin their authorisation of spectrum, national and international frequency allocations and how our client assesses compatibility between services.
This position will be based at our client’s regional lab facilities in Baldock. The nature of the role may require some travel between Baldock and our client’s Head Office in London.
Requirements of the Role
- Working in a project-led environment, provide knowledge and expertise in wireless communications technical issues, involving a wide range of mobile, fixed and satellite radio communication technologies
- Develop detailed technical evidence and advice on wireless technology and system interference issues which will inform the spectrum policy and management decisions
- Investigate and develop complex measurement procedures for existing and emerging technologies operating in the Radio Frequency (RF) spectrum, from initial scoping through to delivery of the final test procedure / report
- Use test equipment to gather measurement results within the laboratory at Baldock and throughout the UK; develop innovative methods to test compatibility between different emerging wireless technologies and implementation of RF test projects for the business
- Act as a point of contact for internal and external stakeholders throughout the life cycle of projects; this will include giving oral and written updates, preparing meeting inputs and giving presentations, often at a senior level, to ensure successful project outcomes
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Radio frequency engineering knowledge including wireless systems, propagation, interference mechanism, monitoring, electromagnetic compatibility, and RF measurement
- Prior experience in working with a wide range of existing and emerging communication technologies to include interoperability, compatibility and co-existence
- Sound judgement to set the level of analyses proportionate to the impact and likelihood of the expected outcomes
- Ability to take complex technical measurement results, analyse them using software packages such as MATLAB and then draw conclusions from the results obtained
- Strong technical report writing and communication skills, with the ability to convey results and conclusions of the work to a range of stakeholders including non-technical audiences
- Able to represent our clientand the UK in key national and international forums
- The post holder needs to be technically qualified to a minimum of degree level or to possess an equivalent level of experience.
Desirable Skills / Experience
- Practical experience in technical RF measurement in the laboratory and the field
- Familiar with the international spectrum management environment and the key organisations in this field
- Experience of European and international technical standards
- Ability to use specialist radio modelling and planning software
- Experience with graphical information systems
- Good knowledge of radio propagation models and practical modelling techniques
- Experience of scientific computing algorithms and their performance optimisation
- Ability to analyse big data sets and extract data in file and database systems
- Experience of drive test tools to quantify mobile coverage
- Expertise in software development languages
- Government Security Clearance to SC level or higher
- A clean UK driving licence and the ability to travel anywhere in the UK
The closing date for applications is the 3rd May 2019.
To apply for the role of Spectrum Engineer / Senior Spectrum Engineer, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Spectrum Engineer, Senior Spectrum Engineer, RF Engineer, Radio Frequency Engineer, Senior RF Technician, Radio Spectrum Engineer, Engineer, Engineering.