Senior Spectrum Analyst / Spectrum Analyst
1 day left
- Full Time
Senior Spectrum Analyst / Spectrum Analyst
London, SE1 or Baldock (with travel to company locations)
Our client is the independent regulator and competition authority for the UK communications industries. They regulate the TV, radio, fixed-line telecoms, mobile telecoms and postal sectors, plus the radio spectrum over which wireless devices operate.
This position will be based either in our client’s Head Office in London or at their regional lab facilities in Baldock. The nature of the role may require some travel between the two locations.
Purpose of the Role
As part of the Spectrum Engineering team, you will be focused on ensuring that new and existing wireless systems can operate without interference to one another. You will play a leading role in technical analysis and enabling 5G and other new and innovative wireless services within the company’s Spectrum Group. You will also have the opportunity to undertake and develop complex measurement activities for existing and emerging technologies in the radio frequency spectrum. Your work will support our client’s mandate for wireless spectrum management and underpin their authorisation of spectrum, national and international frequency allocations and how our client assesses compatibility between services.
Requirements of the Role
- Create detailed technical advice on wireless technology and interference issues which will inform the spectrum policy and management decisions. This may require complex analysis and modelling of wireless networks. For example, this could include undertaking link level analysis, performing detailed simulation analysis, modelling of radio wave propagation, or measurement and trials work.
- Develop technical evidence which will inform the spectrum policy and management decisions; this could include measurement-based activity with lab and field work.
- Formulate technical policy that understands and balances the interests of industry stakeholders, citizens and consumers.
- Provide knowledge and expertise in wireless communications technical issues.
- Act as a point of contact for internal and external stakeholders throughout the life cycle of the projects. This will include giving oral and written updates, preparing meeting inputs and giving presentations, often at a senior level, to ensure successful project outcomes.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Radio frequency engineering knowledge including wireless systems, propagation, interference mechanism, monitoring, electromagnetic compatibility, RF measurement and RF system modelling
- Able to grasp technical and policy issues associated with managing the radio spectrum
- Experience in undertaking complex technical analysis on different types of wireless systems principally in the area of interoperability, compatibility and interference assessment
- Able to scope, deliver and supervise technical projects with a sound evidence basis and balancing the needs of multiple projects
- Sound judgement to set the level of analyses proportionate to the impact and likelihood of the expected outcomes
- Excellent technical report writing and communication skills, with the ability to convey results and conclusions of the work to a range of stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, working in a project-led environment and conveying complex radio engineering issues to technical and non-technical audiences
- Understanding of relevant wireless standards and technologies
- Able to represent our client and the UK in key national and international forums
Desirable Skills / Experience
- Practical experience in technical RF measurement in the laboratory and the field
- Familiar with the international spectrum management environment and the key organisations in this field
- Experience of European and international technical standards
- Able to use specialist radio modelling and planning
- Experience with graphical information systems
- Good understanding of propagation mechanisms, modelling approaches, their application and selection for various services and frequency bands
- Experience of scientific computing algorithms and their performance optimisation
- Able to analyse big data sets and extract data in file and database systems
- Experience of drive test tools to quantify mobile coverage
- Expertise in software development languages
- Government Security Clearance to SC level or higher
- Understanding of quality assurance methods
- A clean UK driving licence and the ability to travel anywhere in the UK
- The post holder needs to be technically qualified to a minimum of degree level or to possess an equivalent level of experience.
- Flexibility as to working hours can be discussed for this position.
This role is available on a full or part time basis.
The closing date for applications is the 26th April 2019.
To apply for the role of Senior Spectrum Analyst / Spectrum Analyst, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Senior Spectrum Analyst, Spectrum Analyst, RF Engineer, Spectrum RF Analyst, Senior Spectrum Engineer, Radio Frequency Engineer, Senior RF Engineer, Engineer, Engineering.