Engineering Group Leader (Remote Handling)
Engineering Group Leader (Remote Handling)
Job Ref: 3470
Job Title: Engineering Group Leader (Remote Handling)
Job type: Permanent Full Time
Location: Culham, Oxfordshire
Salary: £55,610 - £62,197 PA (inclusive of MPP) depending on skills and experience + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
Closing date: 15th May 2019
Do you have experience managing operational engineering teams and have an interest in using new technology to implement robotic solutions for hazardous environments?
The UK Atomic Energy Authority is looking for a Group Leader to manage the Remote Handling Operations Group based at Culham, Oxfordshire.
RACE (Remote Handling in Challenging Environments) is a business unit of the UK Atomic Energy Authority. The Remote Handling (RH) Operations Group within RACE incorporates the UKAEA`s expertise in the deployment and management of remote handling equipment to carry out complex tasks in hazardous environments.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment and in addition to the remote inspection and maintenance of this facility, the team are also developing remote handling solutions on a wide range of international projects.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the RH Operations Team and ensure the delivery of both the future JET shutdown programmes and the Operations Engineering content across the full RACE project portfolio.
The team consists of 30 employees and is responsible for:
- JET in-vessel maintenance, inspection and upgrade tasks.
- Remote Handling Operations Engineering development.
- Deployment of robotic systems within RACE.
- Technician support to RACE Research and Development.
- Virtual Reality support to JET Remote Handling and across all RACE projects.
Key accountabilities/responsibilities include:
- Line management of the Remote Handling Operations Group
- Preparation and planning for JET in-vessel programmes
- Maintenance and development of JET RH equipment
- Training and development of Operations Staff
- RH Operations Engineering across RACE projects
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits please download the application pack.
Knowledge skills and experience
Essential- Engineering degree or commensurate experience in lieu.
- Experience in the management of engineering teams.
- Experience in the deployment of a wide range of operational engineering and maintenance tasks, to tight deadlines in a regulated environment.
- Experience in operating advanced engineering equipment including electro-mechanical assemblies, drive systems, PLC controls, software control.
Desirable- Experience in operating advanced engineering equipment including electro-mechanical assemblies, drive systems, PLC controls, software control.
- Experience deploying remote handling technology.
Special requirements: Shift working may be required during shutdown periods
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work-based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- Please note UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.