Permanent Full Time
£33,441 - £37,579 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
29th June 2019
Are you an experienced electrical technician with a background in power distribution and possess the relevant electrical qualifications to support this?
Have you obtained substantial knowledge and industry experience working on HV/LV distribution and control equipment?
The UK Atomic Energy Authority has an excellent opportunity for electrical technicians to join the Electrical Services Group at UKAEA, forming part of a team responsible for the operation, maintenance and enhancement of the Culham site power supply infrastructure, including high voltage and low voltage distribution and control systems.
The scope of electrical work is wide ranging in an industrial environment and includes installation, commissioning, fault-finding and maintenance/repair work carried out in accordance with the current legislation and codes of practice.
Key accountabilities/responsibilities include:
- Lead and supervise staff electricians, contractors and electrician apprentices to support UKAEA operations.
- Interpret supplier requirements and submit related documentation for review and approval, considering costs are controlled within Group budgetary constraints.
- Scope specific work packages ensuring full compliance with current legislation, codes of practice and safety procedures.
- Take full ownership of assigned work packages ensuring all technical criteria are satisfied and that work is carried out in a safe and cost-effective manner.
- Preparation of Safe Systems of Work documentation including risk assessments, method statements and local rules.
- Participate in installation, commissioning, maintenance and fault-finding tasks on HV/LV distribution and control equipment when required.
- Act as Owner and be responsible for items of plant/equipment at the individual item or sub-system level.
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
Knowledge skills and experience
- HNC/D in an electrical discipline or similar qualification (e.g. Level 3 with AM2 to BS 7671: 2018) with significant industrial experience.
- Work experience on distribution networks in an industrial/commercial environment
- Ability to produce and work safely in accordance with a written safe system of work
- Demonstrate supervisory experience
- Good level of technical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to plan, prioritise and balance the workload
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Authorised or Nominated Person (Electrical) appointment
- HV/LV switching experience
- This role may require regular overtime to be worked
- On-call duties may also apply
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- Please note UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.