Permanent Full Time
£33,441 - £37,579 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
30th June 2019
We are seeking an experienced Mechanical Technician to join our small team of engineers and technicians responsible for the safe operation of the MAST-U cooling and compressed air systems during operational periods, and maintenance and upgrades during shutdown periods.
THE UK Atomic Energy Authority hosts and manages the UK’s MAST-U fusion experiment, which when finished will enhance the UK’s role in international fusion research. It will be the first tokamak to trial an innovative plasma exhaust system and will be the centrepiece of the UK’s fusion programme.
Key accountabilities/responsibilities include:
- The maintenance, refurbishment, enhancement and safe operation of the cooling and compressed air plants.
- Collaboration with personnel from across the facility to ensure all such services are available during campaigns.
- Leading projects and producing design details and commissioning procedures for those projects.
- Ensuring that testing and commissioning is completed precisely and to the agreed timescales.
- Proactively improving the reliability and efficiency of the cooling and compressed air systems by proposing, designing & implementing solutions.
- Designated Responsible Officer for the cooling and compressed air systems with responsibility for the authoring, production, maintenance and revision control of technical documentation, reports and drawings.
- Initiating and leading the cooling and compressed air systems development projects.
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
Knowledge skills and experience
- HNC in Mechanical Engineering.
- Familiar with the use and implementation of plant interlocks and plant safety.
- Extensive experience with the maintenance and refurbishment of cooling and compressed air plants and the demonstrated ability to share this knowledge/experience with the other members of the team.
- Experience of supervising craft contractors.
- Experience of PSSR (Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000) and WSE`s (Written Schemes of Examination).
- The machine services systems pose a wide range of safety hazards including high voltages, large moving parts, working at height, pressure vessels and the associated pressure relief devices.
- The Machine Services plant is located in operational areas that cannot be accessed during machine operation, which means that fault-finding and remedial work must be planned at short notice and often outside working hours.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work-based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- Please note UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role, please discuss with the hiring manager or HR if you have any concerns.