Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Cobham Aviation Services UK has recently been awarded a contract for the design and development of a range of operational training electronic warfare pods by the MoD on behalf of NATO. This will provide realistic training in EW to the member countries, in order to be able to operate in a real time situation. Based in Bournemouth Airport, CAVs UK is actively recruiting for Mechanical Development Engineer This is an exciting opportunity for engineers looking to build on their current experience in an interesting and challenging area.
The Mechanical Development Engineer is responsible for applying discipline domain expertise to the mechanical design, modelling and verification of new airborne products to meet the specified requirements. The Engineer will typically be part of an Integrated Product Team (IPT) and will contribute to the performance of the IPT to ensure that the performance expectations are met or exceeded.
The Engineer will have responsibility for producing mechanical designs. This will include, but is not limited to, development of mechanical components for airborne use as well as being involved in the review, verification, and thermal analysis. The Engineer shall employ the appropriate processes, practices and tools to ensure that responsibilities are completed to meet the required project requirements with the needed quality.
The prime location is the Cobham Aviation Services facility located at Christchurch, Dorset
As the Mechanical Development Engineer your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Minimum of 2 years, experience working in the engineering industry
- Experience with 2D CAD
- Thorough understanding of Engineering Principles including: Statistics, Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer and/or Control Systems
- Experience in basic Electro/Mechanical systems and Geometric dimensioning and tolerance and an understanding of Configuration Management
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Aptitude for problem solving, innovation and creativity
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, initiative and a willingness to learn
- Good team player with ability to work in self-organised teams
- The ability to work within a large organization in a matrix management structure
- Familiarity with engineering processes, practices and measures of performance for the discipline
- Ability to obtain a SC Security Clearance
- Proven ability to work and deliver to deadlines
- Excellent organizational, communication, and leadership skills
- Educational qualifications: Degree, HNC, ONC in Mechanical, Aerospace or Aeronautical Engineering
- Familiar with aerospace products and technologies
- Confident & assertive
- Familiar with aerospace products and technologies
- 3 Years or more, experience working in the engineering industry
- Experience with 3D CAD
- Ability to work effectively within a cross functional team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as being comfortable in making presentations
- Familiarity with the product lifecycle from system requirements, modelling, design, integration, qualification, verification, through to production and support
- Have sound problem resolution, judgment and decision making skills
Confident & assertive
As the Mechanical Development Engineer your main responsibilities will involve:
- Safety first. Operate at Special Mission in accordance with the Health, Safety and Environment procedures and regulations. Identify where these and Cobham procedures are applicable to appointed operations/tasks and apply safe systems of work
- Application of discipline domain knowledge to the mechanical and electrical design, modelling and verification of new airborne products on time, within budget and with required quality
- Assist in estimating, planning and progress reporting
- Provide support to the projects, systems and operations teams
- Continued development of discipline competence and expertise
- Application of, and compliance with, engineering processes and practices including Cobham engineering framework and Life Cycle Management(LCM).
- Identification of opportunities for the improvement of processes, practices and tools
- Collaboration with other project team members to analyse and address project requirements
- Collaboration with discipline peers within the team, Business Unit and company to share and learn best practice
- Support the implementation of design review practice in accordance with Life Cycle Management project governance including: System Design Review, Preliminary Design Review, Critical Design Review, Test Readiness Review and Final Acceptance Review.
- Contribute to business winning technical proposals
Cobham Aviation Services UK
Protecting borders, saving lives and enhancing the effectiveness of defence personnel.
We combine state-of-the-art technology with complex air platforms to deliver customised airborne surveillance, operational readiness training and search and rescue services.
Our end-to-end capabilities benefit government and military customers with responsive and cost-effective turn-key solutions for optimal mission performance.
About Cobham plc
Cobham is a leading global technology and services innovator, respected for providing solutions to the greatest challenges, from deep space to the depths of the ocean.