Senior Firmware Engineer
Cobham Aviation Services UK has recently been awarded a contract for the design and development of a range of operational training electronic warfare pods by the MoD on behalf of NATO. This will provide realistic training in EW to the member countries, in order to be able to operate in a real time situation. Based in Bournemouth Airport, CAVs UK is actively recruiting for Senior Firmware Engineer (Engineer) this is an exciting opportunity for engineers looking to build on their current experience in an interesting and challenging area.
The Senior Firmware Engineer is responsible for applying discipline domain expertise to the design, development and test of new and existing firmware products to meet the specified requirements. The Engineer will typically be part of an Integrated Product Team (IPT) and will contribute to the performance of the IPT to ensure that the performance expectations are met or exceeded.
The Engineer will have responsibility for producing customer deliverable firmware in a structured, process driven environment. This will include, but is not limited to, development of the firmware design architecture, models, configuration of FPGA SoC components, firmware tests and documentation as well as being involved in the review, verification, place and route and meet timing processes. The Engineer shall employ the appropriate processes, practices and tools to ensure that responsibilities are completed to meet the required project requirements with the needed quality.
The prime location is the Cobham Aviation Services facility located at Christchurch, Dorset.
As the Senior Firmware Engineer your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Familiarity with the product lifecycle from system requirements, architecture, algorithm development, modelling, design, integration, qualification, verification, through to production and support
- Highly experienced in developing production firmware ideally for one or more of the following: radar, electronic warfare, communications and / or surveillance systems for an airborne environment
- Expertise in design, coding, debugging, reviewing and testing complex digital high speed systems
- Proficient in digital implementation in VHDL language
- Proficient in designing digital processing components and algorithms in Matlab/Simulink design for HDL coder and targeting FPGA devices
- Must be proficient in scripting language Tcl
- Experience of block design, schematic design, IP integrator, and VHDL firmware development
- Experience of developing firmware I&Q signal processing, digital filter design and frame based sample streaming.
- Experience of implementing efficient resource and time critical firmware on latest technology ultra large FPGA and SoC devices.
- Ability to apply timing driven optimisation to achieve closure for place and route process
- Ability to write optimised efficient code.
- Experience of development environments including Vivado block design, IP Integrator, VHDL source code.
- Experience in writing VHDL testbenches to verify the firmware using Modelsim.
- Experience in Tcl scripting to support FPGA Vivado design and Modelsim simulation.
- An understanding of Configuration Management.
- Aptitude for complex problem solving
- Proficient and confident with version control systems eg GIT
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Problem solving and creativity
- Self-motivated, confident and assertive. Initiative and drive
- Good team player with ability to work in self-organised teams
- The ability to work within a large organization in a matrix management structure
- Strong technical report writing.
- Familiarity with engineering processes, practices and measures of performance for the discipline
- Ability to obtain a SC Security Clearance
- Proven ability to work and deliver to deadlines
- Excellent organizational, communication, and leadership skills
- Educational qualifications: Minimum Technical Degree relating to Computer Science or Software Engineering or equivalent
As the Senior Firmware Engineer your main responsibilities will involve:
- Safety first. Operate at Special Mission in accordance with the Health, Safety and Environment procedures and regulations. Identify where these and Cobham procedures are applicable to appointed operations/tasks and apply safe systems of work
- Application of discipline domain knowledge to the design, development and test of high speed firmware components on time, within budget and with required quality
- Peer review of firmware
- Produce the documentation required to support the firmware
- Assist in estimating, planning and progress reporting
- Provide support to the projects, systems and operations teams
- Continued development of discipline competence and expertise
- Application of, and compliance with, engineering processes and practices including Cobham engineering framework and Life Cycle Management(LCM).
- Identification of opportunities for the improvement of processes, practices and tools
- Collaboration with other project team members to analyse and address project requirements
- Collaboration with discipline peers within the team, Business Unit and company to share and learn best practice
- Support the implementation of design review practice in accordance with Life Cycle Management project governance including: System Design Review, Preliminary Design Review, Critical Design Review, Test Readiness Review and Final Acceptance Review.
- Contribute to business winning technical proposals
Cobham Aviation Services UK
Protecting borders, saving lives and enhancing the effectiveness of defence personnel.
We combine state-of-the-art technology with complex air platforms to deliver customised airborne surveillance, operational readiness training and search and rescue services.
Our end-to-end capabilities benefit government and military customers with responsive and cost-effective turn-key solutions for optimal mission performance.
About Cobham plc
Cobham is a leading global technology and services innovator, respected for providing solutions to the greatest challenges, from deep space to the depths of the ocean.