Strategic Estates Surveyor / Building Surveyor
Job Title: Strategic Estates Surveyor
Salary: £38,813 - £40,760 per annum
Job type: Full Time, Permanent (37 hours per week)
Closing Date: 2nd July 2019
The Council is working to secure best strategic and financial value from its land and assets. Working corporately and with external partners the post holder will help lead the strategic estate management of the council’s land and property portfolio to maximise returns.
The successful applicant will be enthusiastic, self-motivated and be able to demonstrate an excellent track record and a high level of competence in all elements of commercial property.
* Provide professional advice and recommendations to the Council on strategic/commercial estate management issues
* Implement a robust programme of regular capital asset valuations, in line with annual capital accounting requirements
* Work with Strategic Property Manager to identify and implement a long term investment and disposal plan for the councils retained estate
* Regularly review the performance of the Council’s land and property portfolio and make recommendations for disposal, investment and acquisition
* Ensure that estate management policies, procedures and processes are fit for purpose, efficient and consistent, and that relevant property/asset information systems are accurate and up-to date to provide performance management information
* Drive and lead proactive and strategic management of the councils retained estate to maximise income, recover costs and promote customer satisfaction
* Ensure that all leases and licences are on commercial terms, debts are proactively managed and recoverable costs are fully recharged
* Ensure the proactive and timely completion of scheduled and reactive tasks including rent reviews, lease renewals, tenant enquiries
* Lead on the delivery of strategically important/complex estate management cases
* Maximise the occupancy of Council-owned assets via proactive promotional campaigns, negotiating terms and concluding deals in a timely manner
* Identify, investigate and deliver place shaping and commercial development opportunities for the Council, to support corporate priorities such as self-sufficiency, economic growth etc.
* Work with all services to identify opportunities for land and assets to support corporate priorities and deliver operational needs
* Responsible for the identification and implementation of a corporate investment and disposal plan
* Lead on the acquisition, development and disposal of land and property assets in line with the priorities and actions set out in the Councils corporate plans and strategies
* Provide specialist support to the delivery of major capital projects
* Significant experience in relevant estate management/property roles
* Experience of inspiring or leading others
* Proven track record of leading a wide range of acquisition, disposal and development appraisal work
* Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant discipline e.g. estate management, property
* Member of a relevant professional body (e.g. MRICS, FRICS)
* Qualified to undertake property valuations
* Excellent understanding of Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 Part II, land and property law
* Excellent negotiation, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
* Aware of and able to manage risks
* Possessing a solid understanding of performances management techniques
* Committed to continuous improvement
* Proven ability to think strategically with a 'can do' attitude
In return there are excellent benefits, including a flexi-time scheme, generous annual leave entitlement, agile working, a contributory pension scheme, various staff discounts, parking and the ability to purchase additional annual leave.
Please click on the APPLY button to complete the application form, attach your CV and Covering Letter for this role.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of; Estates Officer, Property Officer, Council Estates Officer, Land Management, Estates Services Officer, Housing Officer, Building Surveyor, Surveyor, Chartered Building Surveyor, Residential Building Surveyor, Senior Building Surveyor, Experienced Building Surveyor, Estates Manager may also be considered for this role.