Take our firmware and electronics development to the next level
NKT Photonics designs highly innovative products and your expertise will help to ensure our firmware and electronics development is taken to the next level: faster development; more re-use across projects; a lower degree of maintenance; increased functionality and faster communication.
To support our plans, we are currently looking for a talented Electronics Engineer to join our growing team.
This is an important role that sits within our R&D team. We want to strengthen this area with a dedicated expert who will develop electronics and firmware for a range of industrial and scientific fiber laser systems and accessories.
Why you should join our team
We are a dynamic, international high-tech company and a leader in the development, manufacture and supply of high-performance fiber lasers and photonic crystal fibers. Our site in Southampton focuses on the development and manufacture of industrial Ultrafast Fiber Lasers.
We employ some of the best and most creative people in our industry and they have helped to make us one of the fastest growing and most innovative photonics companies in the world.
We embrace a culture in which a healthy work-life balance is encouraged and we promote a positive, supportive working environment. We offer an exciting, inspiring place to work where we encourage both personal and career development.
Now is a great time to join us as we embark on significant and hugely exciting growth plans; not just here, but across our global organisation. We are investing in expanding our facilities and rapidly enlarging our talented teams - so be prepared for change and career opportunities!
What your role will involve
As our Electronics Engineer, you will use your experience to develop schematic designs, perform layout and verification testing of new PCBs and develop inter-module cabling required for our new laser products. You will also develop firmware for new hardware designs as well as maintaining existing firmware and adding additional features to enable new functionality on existing hardware.
Additionally, you will:
- Work as part of the R&D team to form new design concepts and develop electronics and firmware designs throughout the product lifecycle
- Recommend and implement design improvements based on enhanced performance, reliability or reduced cost
- Test and verify designs for new and existing products
- Undertake PCB design and layout using Altium
- Complete CE and FDA compliance testing, ensuring all documentation is correct
- Effectively communicate feedback to the Firmware and PCBA Developers to ensure a fast turnaround
- Occasionally travel to other NKT Photonics offices within Europe
What you will need
To join us as our Electronics Engineer, you will need:
- Electronics test and design experience, ideally gained in a high-tech industrial product environment
- Knowledge of electronic components and how they work, as well as the ability to read and understand schematics and create electrical circuits independently
- Strong use of Altium for PCB design and layout
- An understanding of electronics and embedded systems
- The ability to read firmware code and de-bug both hardware and software
- To be comfortable working in project teams and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- A relevant qualification in Electronic Engineering or Computer Science (or similar)
- The willingness to travel to our sites in Copenhagen and Zurich
Working knowledge of the following would be expected:
- Analogue and digital circuit design and constant current sources
- Safety interlock systems and weak signal measurement
- Programming in C for ARM Cortex and Atmel XMega microcontrollers
- USB, RS485 communication interfaces
- Design for EMC immunity and lowest emissions in industrial and scientific environments
- LTSpice (or similar) for simulation
If we sound like the place you would like to work, please select the apply button shown to send your CV and a brief covering letter to us and we will be in contact soon.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Electronics Engineer, Electronics Test Engineer, Design Engineer, Electronics Design Engineer, Project Engineer, Product Design Engineer, R&D Engineer, Electronics Test & Design Engineer, Engineering, Altium.