Control Systems Engineer
Job Title: Control Systems Engineer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon (OX14)
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The company was originally established in 2009 to design and develop small spherical tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications. Since then they’ve unlocked a new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology will revolutionise the world’s energy production – it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e.g. with no long term nuclear waste or carbon emissions).
Their current aim is to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. The company’s innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click and Reuters news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum on 2016. This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team and to tackle the challenge of a lifetime.
The candidate will be part of the Systems Engineering team. The team is responsible for producing the control systems, software and user screens that are used by the operations team to run experiments.
* Integrating systems into the plant infrastructure
* Reviewing and refactoring existing code
* Gathering requirements from internal stakeholders
* Working through GitLab and Mantis job tickets
* Interpreting functional requirements and solving the technical solution
* Producing control logic, component boundary interfaces and user interfaces
* Interfacing with third party equipment
* Writing test cases for software
* Fault finding and debugging
* Working to tight deadlines
* Considerable experience in delivering complex technology product, construction and / or infrastructure programmes
* High level user of Microsoft Project and Agile programme management tools (e.g. Redmine)
* Knowledge and experience of engineering design and / or software development processes
* Effective communication (both oral and written), internally and externally
* Strong problem-solving and decision making skills
* Well-structured planning and resourcing for budget setting and management
* Teaching, supporting and leading others
* Engineering or computer science degree
* Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
* Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA)
* Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer (CLED)
* Hands on experience with National Instruments’ cRIO
* C++, Python, MATLAB or Simulink skills
* PLC (Siemens)
* Linux (CentOS 7)
* Signal electronics skills
* Database experience, MDSplus, MySQL, Cassandra
* Real-time (deterministic) software development
* 25 Days Holiday (plus bank holidays)
* Company Pension scheme
* Eligible for company share option scheme after one years’ service
* Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
* Private medical insurance after 3 months’ service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, they may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Project Engineer, Engineering Project Management, Project Management, Graduate, Engineering Graduate, Operations Engineer, Production Projects Engineer, Engineering Manager, Project Coordinator, may also be considered for this role.