Trainee Building Control Officer – Council
6 days left
- Full Time
Job Title: Trainee Building Control Officer
Salary: £24,892 - £27,041 per annum
Job Type: Full time, Permanent (37 hours per week)
Closing Date: 5th November 2020
Are you looking for a challenge, and a diverse range of work? Do you want to work in an innovative, positive team that shapes and develops the places we live and work in? If so they would want to hear from you.
This team is part of the Council. They deliver planning services from a team which includes Highways Development Control, Ecology, Conservation, Healthy Spaces and Building Control. They deliver holistic and innovative solutions to all their customers. They are also visionaries in their field. The Company is the Midlands’ first public sector commercial planning, development and environmental consultancy who support developments through the regulation process, from the promotion of land to achieving consents, through to their safe completion on behalf of clients across the region including Shropshire, Cheshire and the wider Midlands. You will be based in Telford - a destination of vibrant places and experiences where people love to live, work and play.
The duties of the post are varied and will alter as the officer develops in the work environment to reflect the gains in their experience and knowledge. You will work under the direction/instruction of more experienced staff. You will work towards and achieve competencies that will enable you to make an effective contribution to the delivery of the Building Control and Development Management service. This will have both technical and administrative duties.
* To carry out the examination of plans and work under construction under the guidance of a Building Control Surveyor for compliance with the Building Regulations and allied legislation
* Undertake basic appraisals, including site visits considering the technical, financial and planning implications of schemes
* Assist in the administration function of the Building Regulations and associated legislation
* Inputting applications onto the computer system used by the Business Unit. Including accurately plotting applications onto the map-based computer system (GIS)
* Compose letters and reports in connection with Building Control issues
* On a daily basis the post holder will take messages from builders or developers requiring inspection of work on site and register all inspection requests and enter them on the Building Control computer system
* Assisting in the administration of applications including the development and negotiation of fees
* The post holder will also be expected to deal with both non-technical and technical queries both over the telephone and in reception under the guidance of more experienced members of staff and be responsible for providing advice and guidance for minor issues
* To assist in the provision and creation of information sheets to customers relating to services provided by the Building Control Service
* To provide an efficient and friendly help desk service ensuring messages are passed on to the relevant Building Control team member promptly
* NVQ4 or equivalent qualifications
* Experience of building control work is desirable
* Knowledge of legislation affecting design and construction and health and safety is desirable
* A flexible and adaptable approach to work and be able to deal with a number of issues simultaneously, responding to operational needs
* Ability to work under pressure and meet or exceed personal and team targets and deadlines, and be flexible in responding to changing circumstances
* Good written and verbal presentation skills
Please click on the APPLY button and you will be REDIRECTED to the Council’s careers page.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Environmental Health Officer, Building Control Administrator, Planning & Building Control Officer, Building Compliance Officer, Building Surveyor, Home Project Officer, Building Control, Building Inspector, Property Services Officer, Construction Surveyor, RICS, CABE, CIOB may also be considered for this role