Senior Water Engineer / Consultant
Senior Water Engineer / Consultant
Edinburgh or Motherwell
The Amey (Scotland) Consultancy Design team is recruiting for a Senior Water Consultant/Engineer to work on our expanding portfolio for our Scottish and UK clients. You will be involved in existing frameworks which will provide the opportunity to get involved in undertaking assessments in areas of flood management, river engineering, water environmental impact assessments, hydrogeology, hydrogeomorphology and associated modelling and designs, through the project lifecycle, i.e. from feasibility design through detailed design to construction. The position will be based in our office in the Gyle, Edinburgh or Eurocentral, Motherwell.
You will be required to provide support and guidance to assistant engineers within a design team to ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards and that the delivery of all the specified project outcomes are on time, within budget and to the quality required.
The successful candidates will be part of the wider Amey, UK and international, design consultancy family which provides a range of multi-disciplinary services to our customers, driving value across their asset portfolio. Amey are the fastest growing consultancy in the UK and are relied upon to manage, improve, and maximise the performance of a vast range of assets vital to the effectiveness and sustainability of the UK.
What are we looking for?
- Degree qualified, preferably MSc/PhD in relevant, Civil, Hydrology, Water Resources, Environmental and/or Flood Management related studies. Chartered (CIWEM, CEng, or relevant equivalent professional qualification) or approaching achieving relevant professional qualification.
- Technical skills & qualification
- Good knowledge of water related EIA’s
- Hydrogeological or hydro-geomorphological studies and methodologies
- Flood Risk and Drainage Impact Assessments
- Surface Water Management and Flood Risk Management Plans
- Hydrological studies and methodologies
- Appreciation of 1D/2D hydraulic modelling,
- SUDS design,
- Experience of feasibility, outline and detailed designs
- Computer literate and conversant with MS Office suite and relevant engineering software packages particularly CAD
- Experience in working with Local Authorities, Transportation authorities, Water Authorities/Companies, Developers or Environment Agencies
- Good written and oral communication and organisational skills and to produce reports in clear concise English
- Desire to develop existing skills and acquire new technical competences to enhance personal and team capability
- Proven ability to work within a team environment with a dedicated approach to meet project deadlines
- Client focused approach to service delivery
- Proven enthusiasm to embrace and participate in career development initiatives
- Self-motivated with the drive to achieve continuous improvement targets
- Full Driving Licence
What makes this role unique?
In addition to the opportunity to be involved in a dynamic expanding Scottish based design consultancy team we have a strong culture of developing individuals to their full potential. This culture has been recognised by the current award of Investors in People Silver Status.
You will also have the opportunity to work with our own in-house construction team for projects at all stages from feasibility and optioneering, through to detailed design and construction support.
What will this role involve?
- Implement the project requirements to fully meet the client specification in accordance with relevant standards
- Undertake any work of a technical nature that falls within ability and competence
- Be confident to work under minimum supervision and competent to check the work of others and supervise less experienced or junior staff
- Assist with competency appraisal processes subject to suitable level of supervision
- Carry out site visits and surveys, inspections and work with sub-contractors
- Prepare and check feasibility studies, inspection, assessment and technical reports and other written documents in an appropriate format ensuring compliance with Amey procedures
- Comply with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including Health & Safety, Environmental and all other appropriate regulations
- Prepare/check design approach, calculations, drawings and documents
- Take responsibility for the supervision of junior design team and modeller members to help ensure timely project delivery is achieved within budget and in accordance with the specification
- Engage in client and third-party liaison
- Keep up to date with industry best practice and where appropriate apply best practice within the team environment
- Support learning and development opportunities for self and other team members.
Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ.
We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that’s why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees.
Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension scheme. In addition, you will be entitled to Company sponsored life assurance and a generous holiday entitlement. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices which offers a range of flexible benefit options and offers additional benefits available throughout the year.
Amey is an equal opportunities employer.