Power Supplies Maintenance Engineer
5 days left
- Full Time
Power Supplies Maintenance Engineer
Site Location: UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire
Department: Electrical Engineering
Type of Employment: Full-time
Salary: £35,486 to £37,924 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking a Power Supplies Maintenance Engineer to join a team of circa 45 employees and be responsible for providing practical engineering support to the Plant Responsible Officers and Power Supplies Operations Engineers who manage and operate complex, high power, pulsed power convertors for the JET and MAST-U Tokamaks.
This opportunity will allow you to undertake maintenance, installation and fault-finding activities on the plant and will expect you to lead small to medium work packages with minimal direct supervision whilst working alongside technical experts, gaining a wealth of knowledge and experience.
Comprehensive on-plant training will be provided to enable successful candidates to become fully conversant with the requirements of the role.
What will you be responsible for?
- Provision of mechanical skills regarding mechanical assemblies and vacuum, pressurised water, gas and air systems
- Undertaking fault finding activities within your area of expertise and leading routine maintenance tasks
- Taking responsibility for defining and maintaining sufficient spares and consumables for a range of plant including managing obsolescence
- Preparing work control documentation for plant related activities. Perform point of work risk assessments where appropriate
- Analysing plant fault occurrences and propose improvements to increase reliability and performance
- Assisting with training of technicians and operations engineers on designated plant
Essential skills, experience and competences required:
- HNC in an engineering discipline with practical work experience. Candidates with a lower qualification will be considered where significant relevant practical experience can be demonstrated
Desirable skills, experience and competences
- Experience of working within a high hazard industrial environment
What we offer
- A competitive salary
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors
- An Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, with a full calendar of health and wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies
- Emergency leave (paid)
- 30.5 days’ annual leave (including privilege days and 3 days between Christmas and New Year) increased with length of service
- Wide range of career development opportunities (e.g. professional registration, internal promotions, coaching and mentoring programme)
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
- Annual corporate bonus scheme
- Relocation allowance (if eligible)
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. Our dedicated Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Partner, with the support of our Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our organisation an employer of choice. We are easily accessible by car and are a 10 minute walk from Culham Railway Station.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on the 3rd of March 2021. Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received. Regular casual shift working will be required to provide resilience to power supplies operational teams.
Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.