Senior Systems Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title – Senior Systems Engineer
Job Location – Tewkesbury or Fleet, UK
Job ID – SAS20212601-55627
About the role:
We are looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to join our Engineering team working on a variety of Cyber Security or Electronic Warfare projects. Reporting to one of our Systems Engineering Managers, you will take a leading role in the Systems Engineering activities for systems or sub-systems on engineering development programmes, possibly leading a small team of junior engineers.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Taking a leading role in the development of complex Cyber Security or Electronic Warfare Systems and in some cases acting as the Technical Authority or Systems Architect for a sub-system.
- Provide technical leadership to engineering teams and the opportunity to influence the wider business to improve the way Systems Engineering is executed.
- Contribute to the generation of technical proposals, bids and presentations.
- Lead the implementation of design solutions liaising closely with Software, Electronic design and Mechanical design teams.
- Drive the test and qualification strategy for solutions and sub-systems.
- Opportunities to participate in trials, customer demonstrations and onsite acceptance testing in a range of countries worldwide.
- Opportunities to progress to Engineering Management or engineering strategy roles within other areas of the company
- Experience of taking a leading role in engineering development projects through most parts of the systems lifecycle from concept definition through to handover to the customer.
- Experience of requirements capture, decomposition and establishing verification strategies for embedded systems.
- Experience of Model based systems engineering using SysML
- Experience of working closely with low level design teams in electronic design, mechanical design and software.
- Some experience of team leadership and/or mentoring of more junior engineering staff.
- Relevant industry experience in either the Defence, Aerospace or other complex embedded environments.
- Domain experience in at least one of either Cyber Security or RF (such as EW, Communications or Radar) is essential.
- Ability to capture, manage and decompose system requirements for complex EW or Cyber Security systems.
- Ability to understand, describe, document and present an abstracted view of a complex system through a variety of media.
- Ability to develop Verification strategies for complex embedded systems.
- Skilled at using DOORS or other similar Requirements Management Tools.
- Understanding of Systems Functional Safety through conducting hazard analysis or safety case generation for complex systems to IEC 61508 or other similar standards.
- Understanding of design for reliability, human factors and security.
- Awareness of software design and development, FPGA and Electronic design (digital and RF).
- Good understanding of Project Management and Engineering Management through producing realistic estimates, managing risk and monitoring progress to meet tight timescales.
- Excellent Microsoft Office Skills.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance relevant to the country of the position. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws.