Jaguar Land Rover
Mechanical, Reliability, Systems Design, Testing
WHAT TO EXPECT:
The Battery Test Operations Team is part of Powertrain Build and Test Operations (PBTO) within Product Engineering. The team maintains productive workflow from the Advanced Battery Engineering (ABE – Lyons Park) and HV Traction Battery Test Laboratory (BatLab – Gaydon) test facilities, delivering high quality electrical characterisation and performance data at the cell, module and pack level.
The Test Operations Manager role will focus on leading the efficient operation of internal battery test field, enabling the effective delivery of quality assured test data in support of the development and design verification (DV) of HV Traction Battery Systems.
You’ll lead the test engineering and test operations teams, operating across our facilities managing workflow, leading and guiding the team to ensure the satisfaction of customer test requests, ensuring adherence to safety policies and procedures, and planning for future test capabilities and requirements.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities:
● Lead and co-ordinate the test planning and execution activities of the Battery Test Team in the full preparation of test facility and test parts to enable effective and timely data delivery.
● Manage the operational readiness of the Battery Test Facilities and associated test equipment.
● Pro-actively manage test facility Safety Standards by ensuring all safety metrics are achieved, risks identified and mitigated and corrective action implemented for any accidents.
● Provide technical expertise and guidance, in the measurement and interpretation of Battery Test data.
● Lead and develop the team to manage and refine the Battery Test Delivery Process.
● Lead continuous improvement activity with the goal of improving test efficiency and/or product quality.
● Support all activities that result in a positive outcome from any audit, e.g. IATF16949,OHSAS18001, ISO 14001.
● Plan, coordinate and control the activities of the team in order to achieve objectives through continuous performance review (Management By Objective).
● Ensure that the team collate, manipulate and interpret data effectively and use it to inform engineering decisions (Data Driven Decisions).
● Undertake any other work as directed by their line manager in connection with their job as may be requested.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
● Proven technical expertise and significant experience of test facility operations and system under test preparation.
● Proven knowledge and experience with a wide range of instrumentation and test equipment.
● Proven experience of leading and developing engineering teams and providing technical advice and guidance.
● Experience in technical leadership in a measurement or test environment, inc. project planning and control.
● Significant experience with data acquisition and control systems.
● Significant experience of data analysis and reporting of test data.
● Natural problem-solver with structured approach to problem solving in a technical environment.
● Strong knowledge of Health and Safety requirements, Risk Assessment, COSHH and SDS
● The ability to validate, prepare and read engineering documents.
● Educated to Degree level (Level 6) in a Systems, Mechanical, or Electrical/Electronics Engineering related field, or equivalent experience preferred.
● Functional Skills Level 2 or equivalent in English, Maths and Science.
● Computer literate, including Microsoft Office competency to produce plans, presentations, graphs, process documentation and Single Point Lessons (SPL).
● Extensive technical expertise in HV Battery and Charging technology and facility operations.
● A comprehensive understanding of High Voltage HEV/BEV powertrain systems.
● A comprehensive understanding of Lithium-Ion Battery technology.
● Proven experience with battery test automation and data acquisition systems (e.g. Maccor, Arbin, AVL Lynx)
● Experience of working with environmental chambers, coolant chillers systems.
● Knowledge of data collection and communication systems (esp. AVL Lynx or CAN/Ethernet Communication protocol)
● Comprehensive knowledge and practical experience of implementing and managing Quality Management Standards (IATF16949 & ISO9001).
● Experience of managing safe working practices regarding High Voltage or high-risk environments.
● Experience of Health & Safety regulations, reporting and monitoring compliance.
● Proven experience with structured problem solving techniques and methodologies.
● Experience of working managing health and safety regulations , reporting and monitoring compliance
● Six Sigma, Black Belt and Green Belt Training and certification.
● A full UK driving license with less than 6 penalty points, no disqualification, 2 years accident free record.
SO WHY US?
Bring all this to the home of premium innovation, and you’ll find the opportunities to further your career with a world-class team, a discounted car purchase and lease scheme for you and your family, membership of a competitive pension plan, private medical cover and performance related bonus scheme. As a manager, you’ll also be able to select one of our luxury premium vehicles to lease at a fraction of the cost. All this and more makes Jaguar Land Rover the perfect place to continue your journey.
This role may offer the opportunity for hybrid working where you can split your time between working from home and in the office. At Jaguar Land Rover, hybrid working is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement providing employees with more choice and flexibility around how, when and where they work, if suitable for their role. Further details can be discussed with the Hiring Manager at interview stage.
Please be aware that we may close this vacancy for applications before the stated deadline if we receive a high volume of interest. We strongly advise you to submit your application as early as possible.
Jaguar Land Rover is committed to equal opportunity for all.