£49,396 to £52,293
Electrical Project Engineer - 2 year FTA
Abingdon Rd, Culham, UK
Department: RACE Operations
Salary: £49,396 to £52,293 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
Confirmed Grade: Level 5
Site Location: UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
As we work towards our mission and goals, UKAEA has devised values that capture the spirit of how we work. These values include being: Innovative, Committed, Trusted and Collaborative.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking a passionate Electrical Project Engineer/ SolidWorks Electrical (SWE) Designer with Electrical engineering or technology degree, or equivalent experience to join UKAEA.
The role is focused on project delivery and supporting the management and upgrades to the CAD package we use SolidWorks Electrical (SWE). You must have a desire and willingness to further develop your knowledge of SWE and SolidWorks Standard CAD packages to become a Super User. You will keep abreast of latest developments and roll outs to Solid Works Electrical CAD package, there will be opportunities to attend product launches and roll-outs to keep abreast of this. This role will allow you to have exposure to and opportunity to contribute to the development of cutting edge technology in the world of fusion and robotics.
If you have proven ability to interact efficiently with people in a variety of different situations as well as proven ability to deliver electrical engineering projects, then this vacancy might be the perfect opportunity for you.
What will you be responsible for?
- Managing and overseeing our SolidWorks Electrical cable and components Library.
- Production of electrical manufacturing documentation for remote handling systems for a variety of projects within RACE department.
- Production and peer reviewing of high quality electrical schematics and layout designs for equipment, design enclosures and panels from schematics using SWE integration.
- Line management duties along with managing subcontractors, including specifying tasks and tracking performance to achieve project milestones
- Responsible for the correct archiving and storage of Electrical CAD designs and documentation
- Responsible for testing and commissioning of systems including ensuring compliance of systems with both UKAEA site and legislated safety requirements.
Please note that confirmed role type is 2 year FTA.
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Electrical engineering or technology degree, or equivalent experience.
- Electrical engineering design experience and the ability to assess design work.
- Ability to produce high quality work to deadlines.
- Flexible working attitude with the ability to work as an individual or as a team member.
- Ability to coach less experienced staff.
- Chartered Engineer or working towards Chartership.
- Experience in using electrical CAD package - SWE preferable but open to consider experience with other electrical CAD packages.
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Experience in people management
What we offer
- A competitive salary
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors
- An Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, with a full calendar of health and wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies
- Emergency leave (paid)
- 30.5 days' annual leave (including privilege days and 3 days between Christmas and New Year) increased with length of service
- Wide range of career development opportunities (e.g. professional registration, internal promotions, coaching and mentoring programme)
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
- Annual corporate bonus scheme
- Relocation allowance (if eligible)
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. The Executive team with support from our EDI ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success. We are easily accessible by car and are a 10-minute walk from Culham Railway Station in Oxfordshire.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 13.05.2022. We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.