About the job
Support the Environment & Sustainability teams through the delivery of detailed design & construction phase of the HS2 Main Works Civils Contract, providing strategic oversight to achieving client, programme and parent company objectives & targets. This key role is part of the project's senior leadership team.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Support the strategic leadership on all aspects of environmental sustainability. Drive awareness for and delivery against contract targets, including reducing Carbon and whole life impacts, and striving to achieve no-net loss in biodiversity. Maintain innovation awareness to continuously seek ways to maintain an industry leading contract.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the contract's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
- Provide environmental specialism support to the commercial team for any scope changes, early warnings or other formal communications required with the client on environment matters.
- Provide operational and functional management advice to the design and construction team on the practical implementation of contract policies and processes. Provide assurance to senior management team, understanding and communicating all key risks and relevant information as necessary to ensure sound environmental management across the contract.
- Lead the Environment & Sustainability Team on the Contract. Manage the development and structure of this team that ensures the ongoing needs of the Contract and individuals are met. Encourage collaboration between sectors and contracts to maintain consistency.
- Maintain the Environmental Management System, certified to ISO 14001:2015, ensuring it remains appropriate to all contract risks and legal compliance at a minimum (incl. the HS2 Act and associated Environmental Minimum requirements). Monitor and report performance against targets and drive innovation and continuous improvement throughout the contract team.
- Demonstrates an unwavering passion for the Environment and Sustainability, driving innovation and an ability to positively influence and develop those around them.
- Significant environmental and sustainability management experience in the construction industry on large infrastructure projects or equivalent, comparable industry/projects.
- Strong demonstrable leadership skills essential, with experience managing a large, multi-disciplinary team. Able to communicate as part of the senior management team, influencing and driving change as required.
- Strategic-minded with excellent organisation, communication and time management skills. Project management and commercial/contract management experience required.
- Chartered Environmentalist, Full Member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) or equivalent and registered Environmental Auditor (required but with extensive EMS and audit experience can be acquired once in post).