£49,396 to £52,293
Lead Mechanical Design Engineer
Abingdon Rd, Culham, UK
Department: RACE Operations
Salary: £49,396 to £52,293 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
Confirmed Grade: Level 5
Site Location: UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
As we work towards our mission and goals, UKAEA has devised values that capture the spirit of how we work. These values include being: Innovative, Committed, Trusted and Collaborative.
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is a business unit, based at Culham, within the UK Atomic Energy Authority specialising in remote handling and automated systems. As part of the global programme for fusion, RACE is developing remote handling systems for the next generations of power stations.
RACE is also at the centre of the UK effort to apply novel technologies to all challenging and harsh environments for the protection of people and advancement of industry. RACE designs, procures commissions, operates and maintains the wide range equipment is used for maintenance and implementation of enhancements of the JET Tokamak and is active in the design and development of remote maintenance systems used in ITER and DEMO fusion reactor.
Who are we looking for?
Are you an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer with excellent communication and interpersonal skills? Do you have proven capability in designing substantiation analysis using hand calculation or finite element techniques?
If this sounds like you, then we have the perfect role within RACE and we’d love to hear from you.
What will you be responsible for?
We are seeking mechanical design engineers to design, develop, commission, test, maintain and operate tools and equipment for these remote handling operations.
The main responsibilities of the role will include:
- Creation and design of effective remote handling mechanical robotic devices and tooling from concept through systems specifications to detail designs
- Supervision of engineers and draughts people to maintain high design standards and integrate design work
- Liaison with customers to report of project progress and to agree priorities
- Drive and complete complex design activities within allotted time and with high efficiency and ensuring designs are compliant with correct design files
- Lead and manage the maintenance, diagnosis and repair of existing UKAEA and JET systems
- Managing the acceptance, testing and commissioning of complex remote systems
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Experience in mechanism design and actuator selection
- Experience in design substantiation analysis using hand calculation and finite element techniques
- Competent in generating technical documents and specifications
- Experience in using 3D CAD system
- Ability to work as part of a larger team or group
- Engineering council recognised mechanical engineering degree or equivalent experience
Desirable skills, experience and competence required
- Membership of a Professional Engineering Institution would be beneficial
What we offer
- A competitive salary
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors
- An Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, with a full calendar of health and wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies
- Emergency leave (paid)
- 30.5 days’ annual leave (including privilege days and 3 days between Christmas and New Year) increased with length of service
- Wide range of career development opportunities (e.g professional registration, internal promotions, coaching and mentoring programme)
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
- Annual corporate bonus scheme
- Relocation allowance (if eligible)
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. The Executive team with support from our EDI ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success. We are easily accessible by car and are a 10-minute walk from Culham Railway Station in Oxfordshire.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 30th September 2021. We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.