Up to £30000 per annum
Engineering Consultancy, Marine
Job Title: Marine Engineer
Job Type: Permanent, Full Time
Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week, to include Saturdays some out of hours as required
The Company: West Marine Services is a marine engineering business with over 30 years’ experience in the leisure boating industry; based at Brighton Marina but mobile across the South East. They are main dealers for Volvo Penta, Yanmar, Mercury and Webasto, and take great pride in their customer relations and wide range of engineering skills on offer.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
* Servicing, diagnostic and repair and maintain all marine engines within competencies
* Travelling to marina or dock where the vessel/job is located
* Testing the performance of marine engines and electrical systems
* Carrying out services and minor repairs on outboard, inboard, and ship engines
* Conducting plumbing and intake repairs
* Troubleshooting engine and electrical problems
* Replacing broken or worn-out engine parts, carrying out rebuilds
* Repairing faulty hydraulic and steering systems
* Conducting electrical/AC system maintenance
* Completing service records, timesheets, repair documents and reports
* Plan daily jobs and works diary throughout day for updates
* Champion from the Company, its products and services
* Carry out jobs as per service log and ensure all parts are checked before attending where applicable
* Cross-sell and upsell wherever possible (Volvo Penta Easy Connect, marine batteries, engine services, belts, coolant change, etc.)
* Carry out work to best of ability and full competence, and check completed work
* Keep workspace clean, tidy and in line with Health & Safety on daily basis
* Leave workshop daily no later than 08:30am – the only exception being on Snap-on day
* Book out all parts removed from stock
* Liaise with Parts & Warranty Manager to identify required parts for jobs, and source from stock or order from Supplier as required
* Discuss the results of jobs with Technical Manager with view to gain second opinion/advice
* Partake in regular Company Training, both internal and external, to ensure up-to-date practices and knowledge are maintained
* Other tasks as required by Technical Manager
* Previous and proven experience as a marine mechanic.
* Sound knowledge of marine engine and electrical auxiliary systems.
* Good welding skills.
* Knowledge of marine hydraulic systems and related parts.
* Ability to lift heavy equipment and work in confined spaces.
* Ability to work at sea.
* Knowledge of boat steering systems.
* Good technology skills including computer use, notes writing, etc.
* Strong numeracy and literacy skills, with good English and Maths.
* Commitment to high quality workmanship.
* Excellent attention to detail.
* A proactive, positive and flexible attitude.
* Good problem-solving skills with an ability to prioritise workload.
* Excellent communication skills with a customer focused approach.
* Respect working and natural environment, reducing pollution/carbon footprint wherever possible.
* Team player with ability to work on own initiative.
* Behave in a way that represents the Company favourably and supports the expectations of a Main Dealer.
* Work to high standards at all times, as if the boat owner is about to arrive.
* At least one year’s experience in the leisure boating industry or in a marina environment is essential.
* 20 days annual leave + bank holidays
* Pension scheme
* Incentive programme based on performance following successful completion of 3-month probationary period.
Please click the APPLY button and to submit your CV and Cover Letter.
Candidates with experience or relevant job titles of; Marine Engineer, Engineer, Marine Mechanic, Field Service Engineer, Service Engineer, Automation will also be considered for this role.