Up to £60000 per annum
Building & Construction, Business Management
Construction/Building Services, Engineering Consultancy
Job Title: Senior Project Manager
Location: Kingston upon Thames
Salary: Circa £60,000 per annum
Job type: Permanent, Full Time
The KUSCO (Kingston University Service Company Ltd) Maintenance team is responsible for Planned and reactive maintenance to the Kingston University sites. Each team member carries out work relevant to his or her skill base but is also required to take on other general tasks within their capability, recognizing that there is overlap between skills.
About the role:
This post holder is responsible for the management and delivery of a defined schedule of projects as agreed with KU Estates within agreed time, cost and quality parameters. The post holder will oversee the management and service delivery of multiple projects from feasibility through delivery and handover to client.
The role will be responsible for a Project Manager and Site inspector to assist in delivering projects. Project expenditure is the region of £4m/year.
The Senior Project Manager will regularly be leading & advising on more than one project at a time. It therefore requires a highly motivated, positive, flexible, mobile, customer-oriented attitude, with a spirit of team work and mutual support, and expert technical abilities. Since the role is further involved with the management of various contractors, it also calls for effective managerial and monitoring skills to promote the company’s long and short term business strategies.
* Responsible for the internal project team
* Leading and facilitating the overall multi-discipline professional project team, including risk management, design management and stakeholder engagement
* Define project requirements, quality procedures, standards and specifications needed to fulfil each project
* Advising at a strategic level at the project conception stage, including providing advice on the different approaches that can be adopted in order to successfully achieve the overall objectives
* Deliver a comprehensive programme of varying sized schemes for building, mechanical and electrical related projects, on time, on budget and to the agreed client brief and specification
* Leading the establishment of the overall success criteria for the project, including time, cost, technical and performance parameters. Some of the projects may be phased over several financial years, due to their size & complexity
* Promote a healthy & productive working relationship with colleagues and, where appropriate, end users and their representatives, within all faculties & corporate teams
* Establishing effective project governance, processes, and systems to be utilised throughout projects
* Work closely with the procurement team to demonstrate value for money in all project transactions
* Identify which schemes will require external support and professional advisors and appoint these in a transparent and compliant manner
* Ensure that all schemes, are delivered in strict accordance with relevant legislation and agreed energy targets where possible
* Advise and assist with the development of standard pre-ambles, specifications for project works and for all new projects
* Handle sensitive discussion and negotiations with internal clients
* Implement communication techniques, at every stage of a scheme
* Assist with the development of future LTMP budgets and minor works budget
* Advise management and client of the need for investment in the assets based upon feedback from operational colleagues
* To undertake any other duties as appropriate within their competence, as required by their line manager from time to time
* Educated to graduate level or equivalent
* Professionally qualified in one of the following fields: construction, project management, engineering, surveying or architecture
* PRINCE2 or similar project management qualifications, suitable for company size and shape
* Understanding of the application of advanced project management skills and a willingness to become competent in MS project software
* A thorough understanding of the total project life cycle, from dealing with strategic issues at conception stage, through all of the operational stages to completion and post-project review
* Experience of managing a team and completing appraisals where required. Motivating the team to work exceptionally in delivering their responsibilities
* Extensive & proven experience in the delivery of medium sized projects, ideally within large occupied premises for fabric and M&E schemes. Project planning and scheduling, including ensuring the production of the detailed project plan
* Excellent interpersonal skills, with a diplomatic and tactful approach, achieving results through negotiating and successfully building relationships with colleagues, external contacts and the University
* Ability to multi-task, prioritise effectively, meet deadlines and work calmly and effectively under pressure
* Excellent knowledge of construction and engineering industry technical matters, such as different procurement routes, value management and value engineering
Please click on the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of; Senior Project Coordinator, Project Manager, Project Lead, Lead Project Manager, Construction Project Manager, Engineering Project Lead will also be considered for this role.