About the job
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Your next role
Are you looking for an opportunity to grow and enhance your skills as a Senior Systems Safety Engineer in a dynamic industry that is constantly developing and delivering innovative, next-generation capabilities? At L3Harris in Brighton we are part of Release Systems and the Mission Avionics sector and we’re looking for a Senior Systems Safety Engineer to work on high integrity electro-mechanical and pneumatic systems utilised for stores carriage and release within the aerospace and defence domain.
Reporting to the Head of System Engineering, the Senior System Safety Engineer will join a team of 20 other Engineers and a growing team of Safety Engineers to lead the delivery of system safety related activities, engaging, coordinating and delivering against both the needs of the business projects and ensure that strategic and legislative requirements are fulfilled.
This is a hybrid role offering a mix of office (Brighton) and home working for 2/3 days per week.
What you’ll bring
The role of Senior Systems Safety Engineer requires the following experience and skills:
- Degree qualified in Engineering or equivalent relevant work experience
- Experience working within the Aerospace/Defence industry in the System Safety domain
- Preparation of Safety Management Plans
- Support System Engineering in development of product specification for safety
- Contribute to and provide evidence to support product Certificate of Design release
- Support to ongoing airworthiness and safe-life assessment for in service products
- Compile Safety, Assessments and Cases and ALARP statements
- Familiar with UK safety legislation.
- Understanding of Defence Std for safety such as DEF STAN 00-56 & Mil-std 822.
- Conduct and Compile Failure Modes Effects and Criticality Analyses
- Conduct and Compile Functional Failure Analyses & Fault Tree Analyses.
- Conduct System Safety Hazard Analysis
- Maintain a Hazard Log
- Provide advice and recommendations to Airworthiness and Design Signatories.
- Chair Safety & Hazard Review Boards
Desirable skills (not essential)
- Understanding of Reliability Analyses
- Requirements Management, Verification Planning & Certification
- Use of IBM Doors
- Good stakeholder engagement
- Excellent at articulating verbal and written arguments
- A background in complex Military or Aerospace systems is a benefit.
- Knowledge of Reliasoft software tools
- Proficiency with MS Excel, and MS Office application software.
At L3Harris, we value and appreciate everything our people do for us, and offer an attractive package. A few of our benefits are:
- Flexible working hours and hybrid working where possible
- 12pm finish on a Friday
- Pension scheme of up to 7% employer contribution
- 25 days holiday per year, increasing with long service and with the opportunity to buy/sell
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible opt-in extras such as a health care cash plan, dental insurance, gym membership, critical illness cover and cycle to work scheme
- Training and development opportunities
- Mental health and wellbeing schemes
Important to know
Many of our roles require the ability to obtain a security clearance relevant to the country of the position. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information and may be subject to government security checks.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination and offers equal opportunities for all. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships.